A kill to remember...

Had an adventure you want to share? A near miss or simply the story of your life!

Has my Roleplay improved to anyone's notice?

Yes, indeed.
20%
Maybe a little.
30%
You could still use some work.
30%
Hell no!
20%

Total votes : 10

A kill to remember...

Postby Sothis » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:41 pm

As I was sneaking around Coral, checking my to-do list, I noticed I had nothing else to do. Boredom had set in my mind from the lack of having a decent challenge. My training was getting close to being finished, and I wanted to brag to my trainer. I wanted to hunt someone, bigger than myself. Thought's rambled my mind, but nothing seemed fit. Then I thought of the perfect hunt, Thaddin. So I snuck into Thaddin's room and examined him up and down, then saw the arena. I thought to myself that there might be another challenge inside the arena, so I started to head toward the arena. All of a sudden, I felt a hand grab my shoulder and as I turned around I saw it was Thaddin. He asked me, "What do you think you're doing?" with a conceded tone and a holier than thou art look. I threw his hand off of my shoulder and told him I was going into the arena to find a challenging hunt. He started laughing at me, with a very annoying laugh, then his face turned grim and said, "I'm not going to allow a wimpy backstabber like yourself in there." By the time he could finish saying there, I readied my blackstar stilleto, slipped into the shadows behind his little dwarven fighter friend, and with some of the greatest stealth and flawless precision stabbed Thaddin right in the back, missing his vertebrae on purpose. He was quicker than I anticipated and he hurled his hammer at an amazing speed striking me right in the chest, knocking the wind out of me. I regained my posure and slipped back into the shadows. Being wounded my stealth wasn't at peak as usual and I tripped over his dwarven fighter friend's foot and he quickly turned around, swung his huge hammer straight at my head and missed, I took the open oppurtunity and sliced him right under the arm pit, striking the bracial plexus, which in turn caused an enormous amount of blood to spew everywhere. As I finished the follow through with my swing, he grabbed me with his free hand and pulled me close to him, and as he pulled me right in front of him, I hurled a fireball right into his face, causing him to be temporarily blinded. At that chance, I took all the strength and speed I had and put it behind my last strike, knocking him on the ground with massive amounts of blood everywhere. I took all of his gold and belongings and didn't even bother to go in the arena. My great hunt was done for the day, a hunt I won't forget...
Sothis

Postby Valiant » Mon Sep 27, 2004 6:20 pm

Well... some hints from my humble point of view:

- Too much blood in the story; don't overdo it.
- Assassins don't tell stories. Better to do it in an OOC manner.
- A high level assassin tripping his foot over a fighter he wants to hide behind during a fight ? To be honest, that part of the fight needs a better excuse (or maybe just needs being left out)... low level assassins may trip their foot, high level ones just don't.
- Same for the first hiding. You can't do that while someone's talking straight at you.

Keep trying, you'll get there some day :)
Valiant

Postby Steejo » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:53 pm

I thought it was a good story.

But what do i know?

:?

Ps.I was the won that sed hell no. lol
Steejo

Postby Scorpion » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:35 pm

Valiant wrote:Well... some hints from my humble point of view:
- Assassins don't tell stories. Better to do it in an OOC manner.
- A high level assassin tripping his foot over a fighter he wants to hide behind during a fight ? To be honest, that part of the fight needs a better excuse (or maybe just needs being left out)... low level assassins may trip their foot, high level ones just don't.

For both of your points are wrong to me. Why should an assassin not tell stories? If you choose for a non-story telling assassin, then yes.
Same for the 2nd. If Sothis (the char) somehow finds that a reason to kill this Thaddin, then Sothis finds that.

These points are just wrong and are different for every assassin.

Also other questions might be:
Does your assassin group up or not? Does your assassin get items for money? Does your assassin kill people for fun or only when contracted?
Scorpion

Postby Melodor » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:41 am

Erm, actually the points made by Valiant are good ones. Assassins are *generally* unsociable loners, entirely mercenary, unlikely to group - though they may take up "jobs" for the rich or powerful where the gain is ovious. They are extremely unlikely to trip up and if they did they'd be even more unlikely to advertise such an incompetancy.

The key to roleplay is to make your character seem "alive" - thus describing actions can be pretty good, but doesn't necessarily make your character seem to have a personality. "I stabbed X swiftly with great precision" is something that tells us you are a skilled killer, but nothing about why you kill, what your driving forces are, what you think about other characters in the lands... Think of stories by other characters that tell you how they feel and either write your tale as a journal-type entry or from the point of view of an observer who is interested in the assassin himself and not only his actions. You got some thought in your story but perhaps not enough explanation - why does Sothis thirst for the hunt? What made him choose Thaddin? If Thaddin was just standing in his usual spot, was it really a hunt or actually more of a duel?

Nice effort though, don't get discouraged :-)
Melodor

Postby Ghandi » Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:00 pm

Thanks Melodor,

this is what most players want i think. We try to roleplay, but we dont always know if we're doing it right or not. Of course you might get an award, but that's only when you rp very well at that moment. I think we could all learn if we get some feedback from Melodor (or others) on how we are doing and how we can improve our rp. LoS is a rp-based MUD, so instead of punishing people for bad rp, teach them to rp good. If will benefit us all. :)
Ghandi

Postby Kampfer » Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:52 pm

Well.. I got feedback from my RP.. I got sometimes a famous "someone" which tells me I'm doing well and its better day after day.. and I must admit its helping to have that feedback.

And I've got some award for "cumulative RP" sometimes.. so its not only when I RP very hard on something for hours.

and I must say.. it being 47days (gametime) i'm playing since january (its alot) and keeping RP all the time is hard.. sometimes i'm alone (almost the time) so trying to develop a RP when no one is around is even hard.

keeping courage will pay one day... look at Kampfer :wink:

Personnaly I think playing ONE character should be the best way to get him more alive than playing too much characters at the same time. Kampfer was build lonely.. I haven't any other character til may/june I think.. I get under the skin of a DK.. being evil.. convincing about fate.. power and glory.. I've made alot of enemies.. but I made a clan.. with strong people :)

...I was losing track.. playing a character which look like you could be more easier to RP with.. I am Chaotic Neutral in real life.. so playing chaotic evil is a slot higher.. so its easy for me.. playing a paladin don't suits me at all (and i've already tried).

the advice I can give to people who think there RP have to be worked on is.. even if a bard is not so powerful.. if its more like you and you want to RP try it.. btw Mrpicalo is powerful and its a bard.. lvl 13.. so nothing is bad

the end word.. keep going!
Kampfer

Thanks

Postby Sothis » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:05 pm

Well I want to thank all of you on my poll question, I still wish to get more opinions/advice. Alot of thanks to you Melodor...not just b/c you're a DM but because you made it clearer than most. I'm sorry, I don't think I'm the best RPer, no...Personally I think Jagg is to be honest, sorry everyone else. It's just that the Paladin and DK's are the easiest thing to play and RP...and being an Assassin is hard, but I know, I chose to be an assassin so I took on the responsibility of choosing to RP one...I don't think I should have the big fat.."Inept" in front of my name just because I'm not an inspiring RPer, but I've put forth effort. I see alot of people, not RPing and showing others where stuff is, and teaming that doesn't seem right...but since they are lower level, they don't get Inept put in front of their name? I'm putting forth effort and trying to RP...I think the Inept should be more of a punishment, which yes, earlier I think I probably deserved it, but now, I've changed. It just sucks to work hard on a character on the RP even though I still need work, and get on and see that damned (excuse my language) inept. Please give opions on this, so that I can see the opinions and come up with an explanation why I still have this title. Thanks.
P.S. Um Steejo I'd like if you honestly voted for me, not just because I killed you and Erill IC doesn't mean you have to say hell no in the poll :P
Sothis

Postby Scorpion » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:30 pm

Jagg the best RPer? Well, i think it's Erynn. Personally i only saw Jagg' Rp with his talkings, nothing more. Erynn, well, the first who get proficient and Skillfull, including a 2nd rp item. Sadly she isn't only that much *big wink*

I agree Inept should be a punishment. Some people try to RP, but do it wrong, cause they are inexperienced or because of something else. For the people who don't RP, they don't get bad/good awards. offcourse i aggree that inept gives a big hint that you are in the wrong direction and need to change.

Giving Inept to guys (and girls ;) ) who are lol/newbie like (for the ones who don't know him, he's a bad player) is good. Cause they make playing unfun
Scorpion

Postby Ghandi » Wed Sep 29, 2004 1:52 pm

And RP as a paladin (don't know very much of DK) is not that easy as it seems. Sure you can brag about how good you are and how evil must be vanquished, but after a while, you've made your points and nothing new is told. Giving a char more charactaristics is hard and your class is less important here. I've given Ghandi a very talkative and emotional ones, which sometimes benefit him and sometimes not. But evne Ghandi is looking for nice rp elements and still has trouble finding them. One day i thought i was close to skillful as well, but now...still a long way to go.
Ghandi

Postby Kampfer » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:53 pm

RPlying a DK isn't easy either.. else than taunting Paladins to fight and telling they gonna die... well its boring.. after 4years of playing DK I changed my RP to a social one.. the corruptions.. sadly due a lack of not many players and newbies.. its hard to corrupt anyone after all the things I've made :twisted: .. why? because people don't RP it.. I maybe f*cked one of their character *thinking about a little dark-elven mage and a whole family clan* they still take me as an enemy with their others characters. Its sad.. because they miss alot of doing that.. only you Sothis still believe I can bring something to one of your character even if Aleric got me as enemy :)

*this is good for anyone who read that* forget all about your others characters when you play a specific one. exemple.. Scorpion is against Kampfer.. but Meglaz (scorpion) is in my clan.. and its two different things.
Kampfer

Yeah

Postby Sothis » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:15 pm

Well, that took years of mudding for me to understand. Simply because most mudders are like that. They take most things out of character, when someone is trying to RP. They shouldn't do that, but some have that kind of mentality I guess. Very good point though Kampfer.
Sothis

Postby Illyatra » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:59 pm

well lets see, i hope that i am not the one you are talking about because i am almost positive i dont carry traits from one char to another, but it seems that none of my chars have had any reasonable reaction but not to be afraid, hateful, disgusted or weary of a powerful DK such as kampfer. i think that any action or reaction that i have displayed toward Kampfer has been in char. :)
Illyatra

Postby Keezheekoni » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:08 am

Scorpion wrote:Jagg the best RPer? Well, i think it's Erynn. Personally i only saw Jagg' Rp with his talkings, nothing more.

Woooah there... I recalled reading this a while back, but forgot to respond. Jagg not good rp?!?!? Well I guess you just said that you haven't seen him rp. Whenever I am around him it is constant rp. Arf, I know I haven't been around much lately, but I am sure it hasn't lessened in a month. This almost seems like a pointless jab. Anyways keep up the good rp Jagg and I hope to see you all around.
Keezheekoni

Postby jagg » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:38 am

Scorpion wrote:Personally i only saw Jagg' Rp with his talkings, nothing more.

Once heard a piece of advice: "If ever I say anything that can be taken more than one way, and one of those ways makes you angry or sad, I meant it the other way." So it is the case that I don't associate with Scorpion much, so he wouldn't see how I play, only hear what I say, which I think and hope is what he meant. Nothing to get upset about there.

As for best roleplayer, thank you to Sothis for the compliment, but I would agree with Scorps without hesitation that Erynn is the tops. Although she's not in game so often at the moment, her contributions in the game are outstanding - a hint or a story or an item you've never seen before to get you off searching for something. Outside the game the chronicles - exactly the sort of story collecting a bard would be doing - are a legacy that will endure beyond her direct participation. It's so useful and interesting, it's almost an essential part of the game (I wish I'd found them sooner!). *bow erynn*
jagg

Next

Return to Stories