A blind elf (as told by Peraego)

Had an adventure you want to share? A near miss or simply the story of your life!

A blind elf (as told by Peraego)

Postby Qoith » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:45 am

I made a short visit to the Lands today and when I arrived in the chapel, an alchemist that goes by the name of Thomas whom I had never met before, flailed his hands around upon hearing my footsteps as I entered. Upon finding me, he asked did I know a cure for blindness - he complained bitterly about a "bad" batch of drink he had purchased from Dwar's. Well, I imparted my knowledge that there were several remedies in the Lands - one that could be purchased in Highmarket. I was expecting him to hand over the required bags of gold and I would have happily gone off to buy the potion for him.

But no - he explained that he had just spent all his gold on a certain scroll he had been unable to locate and that he was stoney poor. Well I pondered this for several moments. I had never met this person before - I certainly couldn't be sure of his integrity. Here he was - the same level of training as myself - but he claimed he couldn't afford the mere two and a half bags of gold the potion cost. So I proposed what seemed like a fair solution to me - I would hold the scroll in keeping for him, buy the potion for him and I would return the scroll once he had paid me back. Imagine my surprise when he rejected this kind offer!!! :o

I shrugged my shoulders and went on my way - some people don't recognize kindness when it is standing right before them. *chuckle* Well he was blind - perhaps he needed to see the honesty and sincerity in my face with his own eyes. I did, however, ponder why he was still holding the scroll - why he had not studied it. He told me he could not see it to be able to study it - surely this meant it was sold to him while he was blind - this sparked my interest. Who was capable of obtaining such a scroll, who was desperate enough to charge such an exhorbitant price as to clear out the money bags of the alchemist and who would leave a fellow adventurer blinded and alone in the chapel. I did come up with one name but the alchemist feigned forgetfulness and refused to confirm it. What was he embarassed to admit, I wondered. The name of the person who undoubtably ripped him off and then left him blind and alone in the chapel - surely not a kindly person.

At about this point, I was back in the chapel when a young fighter named Moe arrived. This fighter was obviously keen to make friends. He quickly offered to lend the alchemist the gold required and to lead him to Highmarket to buy the potion. I later spoke to the fighter about his deed. He assured me that the alchemist had promised to repay him - only time will tell if he does. I saw the alchemist hand over some mandibles to the fighter - a pointless gesture considering the fighter was obviously trained in the art of sword-fighting. As for my initial advice - the location of the shop - I received not a single word of thanks.

And so the point of this story - well firstly, that drinking at Dwar's should not be undertaken lightly - his drinks are indeed potent; secondly that the young and innocent adventurers in the Lands must not be taken advantage of (rest assured, I will be checking to ensure that the fighter is repaid in full); and thirdly that there are unscrupulous adventurers in the Lands that will stoop to low levels in order to obtain gold and things they need. Perhaps Thomas was right to keep the name of this person to himself ...
Qoith

Postby Moe » Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:28 pm

Hello, this is Moe. The Elf generously repaid 5000 gold pieces for the 1200 I spent. Thank-you very much Thomas :)
Moe

Return to Stories