Stories from the Lands (by Peraego)

Had an adventure you want to share? A near miss or simply the story of your life!

Stories from the Lands (by Peraego)

Postby Qoith » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:45 am

Recently I have been wandering through the Lands catching up with various adventurers and listening eagerly to their stories ...

For many weeks, I have been hearing about Timothy's difficult quest to obtain the glands from a basilisk head for his Sensei. As many of you will know, his clan "The_ascended" are in alliance with "Honour". Both Valiant and Erill had helped him and several greater basilisks had been slain but in each case, the head was damaged in the attack and was of no use. However recently Timothy spoke again to his Sensei, telling of his attempts and at this point, he was informed that the glands he needed to obtain were from the lesser, not the greater basilisk. He was both delighted and exasperated at this news. Today I met up with a young vicar, Adara with an extraordinary tale. Holton and I sat spellbound in the chapel as she recounted her story about helping Timothy finally satisfy his master ...

She initially spoke of great sadness as she had seen the monk indiscriminately killing acolytes and vicars in the chapel. She found it hard in herself to forgive Timothy his actions and heal him when he staggered into the chapel weak and poisoned after an attempt on a basilisk. However the paladin Erill, whom she obviously has great respect for, was in Timothy's company and Erill pointed out to her that sometimes there are different ways to convince people that their actions are wrong. So, although she remained untrusting of the monk, she decided to use her healing powers on the monk, hoping he would learn to appreciate clerics and perhaps not kill any more. Once the poison had cleared from the monk's body, the three adventurers travelled across the northern plains and approached the dell where the basilisks can be found. Adara gave her blessing and protection to Timothy but refused to put one foot inside the dell. For a cleric of such tender years, she obviously is very sensible and quite able to stand up for herself, refusing Timothy's call for her to accompany him and Erill. She waited patiently as the others moved into the dell, praying feverishly for them, I am sure. After a short while, Erill emerged, poisoned even though he was merely healing Timothy and not actually in battle. Time after time, Timothy fled the basilisk and its putrid poisonous breath only to be healed by Adara before returning. At one point, Adara said the monk was becoming discouraged and she had to convince him to persevere. Finally he staggered out, covered in blood but victorious over the beast. For a short while, he apparently pretended that he had not obtained the head - a cruel action in front of those who had given him so much help, I feel. However, he had an intact head and was able to present it to his masters, who gave him a habit of a master which he now proudly wears and a new title. (He later told me, he felt proud of the courage he had shown and his determination in the face of death. Like many before him, the difficult task set by his guild taught him much about himself and those around him.) Adara left the best part of her story until the end. In appreciation of her help, Timothy bestowed upon her a rather large sum of gold. She was so happy to be able to make substantial donations to both the Deacon in Amethyst and the Archbishop in Amber to aid the peasants. She was so pleased that her assistance was actually able to help so many people in the Lands…

As I said, Holton, a half-orc Deacon listened to Adara's story as well. He had earlier told me of the racial problems he has been encountering in the Lands which was so sad to hear. I hate to hear stories of disharmony. Of course the elves and dark-elves never seem to be able to settle their differences and the half-elf, Qoith continues his crusade against elves. It was disappointing to hear of the problems Holton has been having ... some, it seems, are noticing his orcish features and attacking him on sight - not realising, perhaps, his calling to Aester. The guards around town are apparently using an “atttack first – ask questions later” mentality, which is resulting in several deaths as Holton is forced to defend himself. The latest outrage he has suffered happened as he was strolling along the Amber-Coral Road. He encountered a deaconess, out for a stroll also, no doubt. She attacked without provocation after merely
glancing at his face and Holton was forced to flee for his life. Perhaps we all need to show more tolerance for others in the Lands and teach others to do the same.

Another person I managed to catch up with recently was the half-giant barbarian, Trigoron. Now, he is a little hard to understand, especially when he is excited, but I think I got the jist of his tale. It appears that he was asked to join a party heading into the werewolves lair. Magai lead the party which consisted of Jagg, Erill, Trigoron and for some of the time, Anubis. They encounter many varieties of horrid, diseased creatures as they ventured further and further into the tunnels and caves. Their progress was slow as they took careful measure of every twist in the tunnels and nook in the caves. Of course, the evil animials that dwell there took exception to the presence of the adventurers and many a battle ensued. Trigoron told of a treasure trove they found which netted them all a tidy sum of gold and for Magai, a new spell. Finally exhaustion forced them to leave that evil place with many a stone still unturned. Those that had never ventured that deep into the complex before, all seem firmly convinced there is still much for them to discover. Apparently plans are afoot for a return visit in the near future.
Qoith

Return to Stories