Urias's journal: The Beginning.

Had an adventure you want to share? A near miss or simply the story of your life!

Urias's journal: The Beginning.

Postby Sothis » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:57 am

Journal Entry #1:

Ever since I was a toddler, my physical features and mental capabilities have been mind boggling compared to normal humans. I admit, I wasn’t as strong as most half-giants, or as smart as most pure-bred elves, but my gifts were exceeding....not trying to brag, but just being honest. During my childhood, the children my age never liked me, for they were extremely jealous of my capabilities. So jealous that they dared me to try and fly across a huge canyon in the woods. Thinking that this feat might turn everyone’s jealousy toward me into friendship, which I long for more than anything, well maybe except a few things, so I agreed. So all the children followed me to the edge of the canyon the next morning. As I tried to peer down the canyon, all I could see was sheets of fog, seeming like soft cushions so thick, that they would cushion me if I happened to plummet down that canyon. I turned around to face all of my, well what I hoped to be companions, and boldly boasted (trying to hide my fear), “Is this all?” At first they seemed to appear a bit awe-struck by my remark, until one kid blurted out, “Yeah right! Your just saying that!” and of course, he was right. I had never shown anyone before, but I had been working on concentrating my magics in a way that allows me to float about a normal gnome’s height off the ground. I thought to myself before that I could run, jump, and concentrate my magics to send me across the canyon. I was a bit scared I admit, for I have never tried anything quite this dangerous before. So I told everyone to back up, while I walked away from the edge. Once I got a few feet away I turned around to look at the other side of the canyon, closed my eyes, took a deep breath, opened my eyes, and began running as fast as I could. As I neared the edge I jumped with all my might,...that was the last thing I remembered before regaining my conscience. I looked around, but I couldn’t see anything. I was surrounded by mist and fog, but I felt all of my blood rushing toward my head. A sharp pain shot through my ankle shortly after I realized I was upside down. I yelled in torment as the pain raged through my ankle, and blood rushed to my head. I almost panicked, but I quickly came to my senses as I thought to concentrate my magics on causing small gusts of wind to force the mist and fog out of the canyon. I started to concentrate my magic and cause small gusts of wind to push the fog up out of the canyon to clear the view. All of a sudden it became clear that I was hanging from a root that was sticking out of the side of the canyon. My foot was tangled in the roots and was twisted so badly that I came to the conclusion it was broke. Which the pain hinted towards that hypothesis as well. I looked around and noticed I was near the top of the canyon, well closer to the top than down I hope. I looked down to notice nothing but sharp rocks below, which caused my stomach to churn. I tried to close my eyes to regain my focus of the situation. “How long have I been here?” I thought to myself. I tried to see if any of the children were standing around looking for me, but no one was in sight. I figured they must have ran back to get help. In the meantime, I decided to try and get out of this situation I was in without killing myself. I looked around at the side of this canyon I was hanging from and noticed little places that I could use as footholds. I was beginning to feel even more light-headed after hanging here upside down for no telling how long. I grabbed my leg and pulled myself up, grimacing in pain. I grabbed ahold of the roots and clinged to the side of the canyon as my foot slipped out with ease. Phew...seems if I would have made one wrong move, I would have had a nasty greeting with the rocks below. I started climbing up, avoiding using my right leg. It took me longer than normal, but my physical strength and endurance pulled me through as I reached the top. I pulled myself over the edge and laid on my back resting for a moment to catch my breath. As I laid there I noticed it was getting dark, so I had better start back before anyone was worried about me. I started limping around the edge of the canyon in order to get back to the other side. As I was limping, I noticed a wooden branch lying on the ground, so I picked it up and noticed it was straight and narrow, but exceedingly strong. So I started walking with it to take the weight off my injured leg and as I continued making my along the edge again, I heard a growl in the woods. I glanced around and wondered what it could be. Then out of the woods leaped a huge jaguar. I quickly threw up my wooden branch with both hands as the jaguars mouth chomped right in the middle of the branch, and the force of the impact knocked me on my back with the jaguar on top of me. The jaguar tried to bite through the wooden branch but suprisingly the wood stronger than I had even imagined. I kneed the jaguar in its stomach with my good leg, and rolled back hurling the jaguar off of me. The jaguar landed right on the edge of the canyon, and I struggled to my feet. I limped over as the jaguar quickly recooperated and started lunging at me again. This time I was prepared, I swung the wooden branch just as the jaguar leaped at me and knocked him right in the head. The blow sent the jaguar hurling off the canyon's edge and plummeting to its death below. I limped over close to the edge and peered down to make sure it was over, and it was. As I turned around to start travelling back home, I started feeling dizzy...really dizzy. It seems my body took more damage and energy than it ever has before...I....couldn't.....stand....any....mo........*collapses to the ground unconscious*
(To be continued...)
Sothis

Return to Stories