Kaneda's Betrayal

Had an adventure you want to share? A near miss or simply the story of your life!

Kaneda's Betrayal

Postby Shadowchaser » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:38 pm

It has taken many months for me to come to terms with the loss of my brother. And only now can I begin to put into words what happened during those dark days....

Kaneda and I had fell in together shortly after my arrival in these lands. We were both unskilled and frivilous adventuring far and wide. There came a time when we both realised that our friendship had grown and we were more like brothers to one another. One night in the forest as we sat talking. We decided to make a pact and forge our own fellowship that would last beyond this life.

Without due care or attention we often landed up in hot water attempting to thwart something far more skilled than we were . Our adventuring often took this form resulting in us practising our arts. Well the art of fleeing to be precise. We were getting proficient at that.

One day my brother seemed quiet and not his usual humorous self. His quiet introspection unnerved me some but I waited for him to tell me what was ailing him, as was his way. Never was I ready for his confession that was to come. I reeled in shock and dismay at his course of action that was to follow over the next few weeks.

For he had been approached by the most noxious of beings. Kampfer is his name and he had tempted Kaneda with tales of power and greed and had promised him many a fine thing. I sat and listened thinking I knew my brother well and his love for all things good would prevail. Little did I know then that Kampfer had a plan and had singled Kaneda out.

I laughed at Kaneda's tale telling him not to be so silly and how ridiculous was this offer of Kampfers. I observed Kaneda frowning and clenching his fists as I laughed but I had missed the true meaning of it. We parted on good terms as usual and went our ways promising to meet in a few days.

I spent the next few days in the forest and pondered little over Kaneda's dilemma. I was absolute in my belief that I knew Kaneda and he would shrug aside Kampfers offer like others before him. We were Kin..... We had undertaken the ritual bonding of fellowship and this was more powerful than anything Kampfer had to offer.

I returned to Amethyst to find the Dark Knights had been causing yet more chaos. These were truly hard times and I remained vigilant as they did not appreciate my opinions.

I sought out Kaneda for I had missed his laughter and ability to get us into some sort of mischief. We sat in the chapel for a while. I furiously berated the Paladins for allowing Kampfer and his minions to run riot across the land yet again with no accounting. Kaneda was silent and had no reply. I was puzzled by his antipathy and demeanour.
Later Kampfer approached me that day and smirked. I laughed in his face and told him he was a fool if he thought Kaneda would join with him. I spoke arrogantly and foolishly I had been blinded to Kaneda's disatisfaction in his training. He spoke of Kaneda in a way that troubled me. It was as if he knew something I did not.

I wandered the lands for some time with an increasing sense of foreboding. I was restless and unable to stay within my beloved forest. Again I returned to the towns of men.
It was there on that cold morning that I spied Kaneda with Kampfer, I saw the mark of the clan upon him. My hopes and dreams of the future shattered and scattered on the winds. We spoke one last time and it was full of anger and recrimination. Many a word was said that could never be undone his fate was his, and his alone to follow.

My time in the land of men was at an end, I would return to the forest and stay there. There was nothing left for me here of any worth. I stalked through the forest my fury palpable to every living beast.The forest was silent execpt for the sound of my breathing as it roared in my ears. The trees appeared to sway away from me as I passed by, animals scurrying ahead avoiding my path. Magiks and energy crackled at my fingertips and I unleashed a cascade of fireballs in fury. I only managed to singe a an old tres to which I am forever shamed. I pass that burnt tree often and it is a constant reminder of my failure to save my brother.

That night as I sat alone and bewildered in the forest. I noticed the scar on my wrist from when Kaneda and I had forged our fellowship. It was a constant reminder of what had been before. I unsheathed my trusted knife, burying it to the hilt in the fire I had kindled. I waited till the blade glowed white, and with trepidation and fear I obliterated what once was a sign of our bond.
The fellow ship was undone, broken and torn apart. As with the Elven way I would no longer speak the name of Kaneda. As my brother was dead to me and I no longer recognised or knew this person who claimed to be him.

I stayed within the confines of the forest for many a month. Only leaving when it was an absolute necessity. It was during these times that I saw how low my former brother had fallen. I became an easy target for the Dark Clan and they taunted me with every opportunity they got. The last straw was one day in Coral when he who was actually challenged me to a duel. I had dreaded this moment but knew it would eventually happen. With a heavy heart I accepted the challenge and a short but bloody battle ensued. I was victorious but I did not celebrate this.

I was alone and confused. Do not get me wrong I had many a friend who leant there support in my time of need. Grima Helm and her never-ending banter was a great respite for a short while. Marjo and her skills not only in fighting but in listening to me and my sorrows. Keezakhoni in his wisdom gave solace. And last but not least my old friend E'jecta whose prowess in the muscles department far out ways his intellect. Even with their support I wandered the lands without aim or purpose and steadily drew further away from all I knew and had loved.

During one of the many spats with the Dark Knights Nrel challenged me again. With the prospect of visiting Limbo yet again I screamed out my frustration to the gods. Why had I been forsaken I asked my self yet again. There were no Gods I decided it was all lies. The Paladins sat getting fatter in the White Castle doing nothing allowing Kampfer to proclaim himself leader and create chaos. I would have no more and would leave this land.

I prepared to battle Nrel for the last time. As I sat in the Centre meditating I suddenly felt at peace. I looked around but could see nothing out of the ordinary. Then I saw Nrel in the background yelling something unintelligible (though to be truthfull that is nothing new). I could see his lips moving but no sound was uttered. I frowned and wonder what new tricks the Dark Clan were playing on me. Then I heard it........ a voice quietly whispering to me. I jumped scared of what was happening to me. Was this the madness others had spoke of. I tried to shut the whispers out clasping my hands over my ears.

As hard as I tried not too I felt myself trying to understand these faint words. The more I listened the more at peace I felt. Everything around me became silent and still fading into the background. The whispers now ringing in my ears.

I sat stunned and abashed. Aester had come to me in my time of need. It was I that had forsaken the Gods, they had been there all along. My heart felt light for the first time in months the pain of loss easing somewhat. I felt blessed by Aester and took comfort from the knowledge that hope is a most powerful weapon to have in ones inventory.

I readied myself to face Nrel, but I was no longer afraid. What could he do send me to Limbo...... I would return and still be a thorn in his side. I vowed to myself there and then that fate had shown me a higher path to take. All of Kampfers scheming and ranting had failed I was all the more stronger for them. I was resolute in my beliefs. I would train all the more harder and attain the skills and knowledge required.

So take heart all of those who adventure in these lands. It may take time but the winds are changing and balance will be brought to bear.

Take heed Nrel you may have won this battle but you certainly haven't won the war!!!!
Last edited by Shadowchaser on Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shadowchaser

Postby Kampfer » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:19 pm

(OOC: really nice!! can't say much more, we can feel the loss and if I had a heart I would have been touched.. probably :) and I'm looking forward for more stories like that :)
Kampfer

Return to Stories