Broken stuff

Got an idea? Keep it to yourself!! Just kidding, leave them here and discuss them with your fellow players.

Broken stuff

Postby Ghandi » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:55 pm

Lots of times when stuff break and after a log, there are first in you inventory. Example: a drained first aid kit will be first in your inventory, same for rings and other stuff that can break. During combat when you want to use a first aid kit you'll probably try to use the first one, but that one is drained. So you will try to use a second or third one.

What im suggesting is:

Why not create some sort of trash bag where broken items automaticly go into after they break. You can pick items out of it if you want to repair them or just drop the whole bag at the tip. No more figuring out which items are broken and which not. No more stumbling during combat to find the right healing agent.
Ghandi

Postby Ruan » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:34 pm

In real life your litter does not sort itself out and put itself in the bin. We are trying to make the atmosphere more convincing, not less.
Ruan

Postby Ghandi » Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:57 am

Ok, true! But what about a command that puts all your broken stuff in a trashbag??
Ghandi

Postby Ruan » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:44 am

Surely this is a concept which could actually be rather dangerous for a very small person...

I think that would take a while to code and most of us would rather see something more interesting than an automated trash bag for the effort involved. It's not unreasonable that you have to examine things individually before you know they are broken. It may be a bit tedious occasionally but if we automate your inventory organisation, what would be next? Walking? Fighting? Maybe convenient for you but rather detrimental to the game - unless we wanted only robot players acting by a script we wrote, which we don't.
Ruan

Postby Ghandi » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:57 am

You've got a point there. But you resembled the situation to real life, where you can see instantly if something is broken or not. Now you have to examine every single piece to see whether it's broken or not. I just want a difference where a player can see the difference between broken and not broken stuff more easily. Maybe adding (B) behind it or something. In real life you have garbage bags as well (well here in Holland we have containers).

And with a command that puts all your broken stuff in a trash bag i mean something like:
Trash broken bag

or something like that. I dont think that command is automating it at all.
Ghandi

Postby Kampfer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:40 pm

only one thing don't work with the (B) flag.. when you have multiple time the same item you don't see the flag.. I will take for exemple.. the Huorns.. some got (G) and when another (pale blue) arrive he don't have any flag.. and you don't see anymore the flag of the second

maybe DM can do soemthing for that too.. but Ghandi is right.. its strange to use a empty (dry) sticky salve when you know its empty.. or a first aid kit you know it when its empty.. because is weight is less than before.. maybe put an autodrop when you use that kind of item or when you try to use an item it can check if its already used else goto next.. if none just do nothing.. I think I don't teach you anything in coding with that ;)
Kampfer

Postby Melodor » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:45 pm

So, you have never picked up a pen to find that it is out of ink, or opened a pot to find that the last of the contents has gone? A broken sword is not a shattered sword, it is one that is ineffective for fighting until you take it to have an edge put on it again. A first aid kit is described as being a box, which presumably you have to examine before you can ascertain whether or not it is empty. A broken helmet may look fine until you come to do the chin straps up.

But the major point, made by Ruan and ignored, is that there are MORE INTERESTING THINGS TO CODE. Shihan, Kaedan and Ruan put in a great deal of time and effort, fiddling about with very tedious code, logic scripts and stats for building areas. You stay up late enjoying yourselves playing; they stay up late wrestling with the most tedious and annoying little details to improve the game for you. It make no sense to nag them on this ridiculous auto-trash point.
Melodor

Return to Suggestions