Level locked areas

Got an idea? Keep it to yourself!! Just kidding, leave them here and discuss them with your fellow players.

Level locked areas

Postby jagg » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:10 pm

As an alternative to completely preventing characters from entering areas if they are too low level, you could give them dire warning messages instead (like the 'hawker tries to sell you pies' messages). 'You feel the urge to flee this dangerous place', 'You feel in mortal peril', 'The level of danger here causes you to shake in your boots' and so forth. More atmospheric!

Jagg
jagg

Postby Ruan » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:32 pm

We've discussed this kind of thing but the current plan is to try to avoid telling players what emotions their character feels, as far as possible. The reason for this is that the huge diversity of personality types that there are would always mean that the message was inappropriate for someone. There are some tremendously brave (or stupid) low level adventurers out there who wouldn't feel afraid if faced with an angry basilisk - it'd seem destructive of their RP stance to tell them that they were afraid....

However, we do like room messages and intend to add more for atmosphere of various types, where possible.

It's difficult to think of ways to let people know what kind of areas they can reasonably explore without being overwhelmed - other than the obvious and current "talking to perms". I suppose this is fairly realistic, though, you gather information about a place before plunging in. Guild leaders talk a lot, but we could perhaps do more in this line. Further suggestions are welcome too...
Ruan

Postby Ghandi » Fri Jul 16, 2004 3:00 am

New area...skip talking, just rush in. That always worked for Ghandi
Ghandi

Postby Ruan » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:59 am

...and I seem to recall talk of putting a revolving door on Limbo for you at the time as a result.

Jagg, thanks for bringing up this subject as it has resulted in some thoughts as to how we can avoid the artificial "you must be at least level 10 to pass that way" type messages. (Though at this stage we can only add it to the enormously growing list of ideas and hope that one day it becomes actuality..)
Ruan

Postby Scorpion » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:11 am

But how about areas which have a lvl restrictoin for max lvl 12. You want to get rid of that? If you don't, perhaps put a guard who only let you trough if you are lvl 12 or lower... but the guards needs a very good reason for that.
Scorpion

Postby Ruan » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:31 am

I have some thoughts on how to make both the max and min restrictions not look so artificial, but you'll have to wait and see. (Obviously the restrictions exist for important game mechanics reasons, but it seems better if we can disguise that).
Ruan

Postby Ghandi » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:03 am

Ruan wrote:...and I seem to recall talk of putting a revolving door on Limbo for you at the time as a result.

Strangely enough I end rarely in Limbo when I rush into new areas. Somehow this adrenaline boost of finding new stuff helps Ghandi a bit to give just that little extra to defeat that new foe. Ghandi usually dies due to stupid things like avalanching himself to death or getting burned alive without noticing it. The times I overestimated myself are over...I know better now :(
Ghandi

Postby Ruan » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:11 am

We'll have to see what we can do about that.
*grins evilly and plans for really nasty new areas*.
Ruan

Postby Kampfer » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:47 pm

Ghandi wrote:Ghandi usually dies due to stupid things like avalanching himself to death or getting burned alive without noticing it.

You forgot duelling kampfer :twisted: but you right.. its a stupid thing to do 8)
Kampfer

Return to Suggestions