Armour

Got an idea? Keep it to yourself!! Just kidding, leave them here and discuss them with your fellow players.

Armour

Postby Ruan » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:40 pm

Seeking inspiration: I'd be interested to see descriptions of the kind of armour people envisage their characters wearing. Most characters wear much the same, steel or chainmail, but how do you picture your characters? Probably not with a piece of steel over their faces at a guess. Good ideas might influence what armour eventually gets created. Note: don't tell me about AC, just descriptions.
Ruan

Postby jagg » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:12 pm

As a fighter who has much in common with barbarians, a piecemeal collection of armour suits Jagg. All those trophies looted from fallen foes! It would be good to have other pieces that are equivalent to those available, to add variety - because after all, if a new (better) piece of armour becomes available, everyone will end up wearing solely that. I'm thinking of examples like collars and cloaks, where they're the same protection level, (rather than wearing two of one thing), and the various sorts of boots that are equivalent to steel. I like those, they add variety.

What would be really nice would be setting your own armour descriptions. Then you could customise away to your heart's content. I realise you couldn't allow every item to be customised, but what about a special smith, where you trade in an item and say 10x its value in gold (as craftsmanship doesn't come cheap), and in a week you get back an item equivalent to what you supplied, but with your own description.

: The master smith says 'What can I do for you?'
give helm smith
: You give a silver dragon helm to the master smith
give $20000 smith
: You pay him to customise the helm
: The master smith says 'How would you like it?'
tell smith A Spiked Helm
: The master smith takes note and says 'Can you describe it for me?'
tell smith A black helm with wicked looking spikes

and later you get 'A Spiked Helm' back, that is equivalent to a silver dragon helm, but way cooler.

Sorry, I seem to have strayed from the original point! :)
jagg

Postby Keezheekoni » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:56 pm

Perhaps adding colour to different armours would make it far more appealing. Having the colour randomized but still having the same AC would get rid of everyone having the same suit of armour. I know that a dark knight would love to get his hand on a pair of "steel jet armour" or "blackened steel armour", and a paladin would love white glossy armour. It does say in the description that the white knights wears white armour with blue trim type, so maybe armour like that could be made available. Red and blue armour would also make it interesting for those who perhaps want to reflect their aura or something, and green armour for the more nature suited guilds. I know Keezheekoni would love red armour to go along with his burnings, though his silk shirt and top hat are pretty nice already.

Spiked and othere random little things, like Jagg suggested for his personal item, also makes armour more interesting.

Adding more masks would also be good. For the assassin and others who either don't want to be seen, or want to intimidate a fierce looking mask would do the trick. Now it is pretty much limited to leather and diamantium. None are really coming to mind now, but perhaps masks from various skins that are seen throughout the lands.
--Keez
Keezheekoni

Postby Scorpion » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:03 pm

Keezheekoni wrote:Spiked and othere random little things, like Jagg suggested for his personal item, also makes armour more interesting.

RP-item is a personal item

But the colour idea is good
Scorpion

Postby jagg » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:05 pm

Could put in more trades for equivalent items - like trade dragonscale for mastercrafted plate or something, that protects equally as well. That way the paladins can have nice shiny plate armour to fit better with their image wihout compromising on level of protection
jagg

Postby Keezheekoni » Fri Jul 23, 2004 5:42 pm

I am not talking about personal spiked items, just normal ones. "spiked steel gauntletts". Just something to add flavor to the blandish armour.
Keezheekoni

Postby Rygar » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:43 pm

Some more caster types of armour. Like say some heavy leather robes, mithrill linked mail robes *whistle*, but something to add flavor and distinguish armour type for caster types... but something to suit more bards clerics, alchemists would be very nice
Rygar

Re: Armour

Postby Valiant » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:17 pm

Ruan wrote:I'd be interested to see descriptions of the kind of armour people envisage their characters wearing.

Doesn't seem to be answered very much until now...

What Valiant should look like:
Silver armour with gold ornaments and blue parts. Would look best without a mask, or one that only covers the mouth. Helm with a plume of course :)

Tipsy:
Let's see... a gnomish drunk in heavy armour wielding nunchukus... yup, trying hard to make him look ridiculous.

Nightshade:
Black, no mask or helm. Not covering too much either... :roll:

So much for the looks of my main characters :)
Valiant

Postby Ghandi » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:18 pm

What would Ghandi like to wear:

silver armour - with an emblem of a lion on it
light bracers are ok with me - maybe some potion slots on it
fine light mithril leggings - a hobbit with heavy leggings looks funny
an angular amulet with some sort of magical gem
a cloak, blue on the outside, yellow on the inside
some comfortable, light weighted gauntslets or gloves, spiked leather or something like that
elven boots - light weighted and comfortable to wear though it gives enough protection
titanium shield with an emblem, one half a blue cross is pictured, other half that same lion as it is on the silver armour

And maybe a new piece or armour: a gemmed belt, to put a sword/knife in and some potions that need to be used quickly during battle. Could have a pocket in it to hold some little food. A hobbit can always be hungry :)

That is what i like Ghandi to see wearing
Ghandi

Postby Ghandi » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:22 pm

Haha, thought that too. Made descs at the same moment.

But i forgot about helm and mask. A hobbit look really funny wearing masks and helmets. Maybe that cloak can cover the head as well.
Ghandi

Postby Ruan » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:07 am

Well, I'm glad to see that other people like the idea of more variety in the armour department too. Don't worry, I have a lot planned - and a lot already built - though release is a long way off yet. Trades - yes; fewer masks and more face guards - yes; colours especially black and white armours - yes; more variety (for the same AC) - definitely.

Please continue to add *descriptive* ideas. Please don't use this thread to suggest things that would involve changing the code. I have lots of new armour items already *whistle* but, I'm still looking for descriptions of armour pieces along the lines of what Valiant and Ghandi wrote, especially things suited for different races or classes.

I like the idea of hobbit hoods, but the problem is that a hood covers head, neck and face and it'd need a code change to make this type of armouring up possible :( Still I'm sure we'll talk about it.

--- cup of tea in hand, Ruan.
Ruan

Postby Kampfer » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:16 pm

Ruan .. for the helm covering more than one part why don't just add more flags part on the item?

like collar type/head type/face type

if one of those part is already covered you can't wear that helm.

Now.. Kampfer.. let see :twisted:

-shadow armour (the armour seems to be made of shadow, moving by the wind) (shadow outfit for every part could be nice)
-flesh armour (like leather.. the armour is a part of different person's skin)
-jet black armour (you can see in the armour's relief some taint of blood running on the plate in all directions)

for the low quantity of a type of armour you can add BOOTS.. kampfer that a full set of dragon scale armour.. but he is stuck with a pair of plate boots... ... ... ... ... come on!
Kampfer

Postby Ghandi » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:52 pm

Get the steel boots then....you know where to get them :twisted:
Ghandi

Postby Kampfer » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:57 pm

Those f*cking stupid medium steel boots are suppose to be on dusty warriors... but never dropped... if anywhere else then I don't know where... but still.. steel boot for a dragon scaled DK still s*ck
Kampfer

Postby Scorpion » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:54 am

Well, you don't have a dragon scale helm yet

*whistle*

Anyway,

talking about the armour. I allways see scorpion in some black armour. Don't ask me why, i just feel like he should wear him. I don't want spikes or other kind on it, cause it will look more aggressive. Perhaps it's an idea to create a embled smith who can create an embled on your shield (or other item). My barb has a hammer embled on his shield (which is cool 8) ), but for some gold you can choose some picture to make it look better, allthough i don't know if others can see it then. Plus if shield breaks, and smith can't fix it, it would be wast of money.. but still, on a dragon scale shield it would be nice... cause they are not that easy to get
Scorpion

Next

Return to Suggestions