Casting form

Got an idea? Keep it to yourself!! Just kidding, leave them here and discuss them with your fellow players.

Casting form

Postby Kampfer » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:57 pm

Well.. Darkknights (paladins too) have more MP than fighters, thieves, assassins. The reasonable thing is they have more abitilities in magic... ok... so why don't put the casting time to 4sec instead of 5sec.

Or if someone (DMs/liaisons) can explain the reason of 5sec i will be happy to shut my mouth and cast each 5sec :)

but it stay a good idea the 4sec casting 8)
Kampfer

Postby Melodor » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:36 pm

Dark knights are warriors first, casters second.
Think for a moment about balance also. Dark Knights are *very* potent as a class. This has been proved in play-testing and demonstrated by other players. Compare them with the rather less potent 4-second casters (clerics, bards and druids). To balance 4-second casting on DKs we could remover wither, give you less hit points and no evil-bonus damage - and make it harder for you to hit things as would befit someone who relied more on magic. Unlikely.
Melodor

Postby Kampfer » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:25 pm

good point :)

btw... the evil bonus dmg... can you explain it to me too... because I don't see that bonus... it should be something like 1 or 2 dmg?

exemple.: with 71% sharp, 17 str, diamantium axe, lvl 12, i hit sometimes for 6 dmg... did we really have a enhance dmg bonus from "Your evilness increases your damage."?

*added
A friend on mine think I complain too much about things.. its not complaining.. its understanding :)

plus its only on personal knowledge because I have alot of criticals.. so the present case is not so often.. but still wonder what kind of bonus it is
Kampfer

Postby Melodor » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:43 am

Damage is, like most things, variable. Very very rarely (less often than 1 in every 200 hits) you may strike for as little as 6 damage with that combination. A character without the "evil bonus" can hit for less than 6 with a diamantium axe, 17 strength and 70+ % proficiency.
Play-testing revealed that you can also hit for as high as 23 with that combination and got plenty of criticals. If you don't like having a large range of damage to your weapon then perhaps you should choose a different one.

It's against our policy to reveal how different values are calculated, so I shall not be explaining what proportion of your damage may be due to bonuses for evilness, nor whether or how much it might vary with all the possible factors.
Try to enjoy LoS as a world rather than worrying about statistics.
Melodor

Postby Ghandi » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:41 am

Ok, that explains the dark knight question. But what about paladins. I understand why we have 5 sec casting ability for offensive spells. But being a paladin, obtaining golden potions is very hard, unless you turn evil. This way we are restricted by using lesser ones or have to buy those from others for example Tipsy. Granites are a option, but I prefer to end a fight with 1 battle instead of healing back to full and go back the entire way. Maybe for healing up we an have a 4 sec abilitly instead of 5. Especially at the higher levels I can't heal up the blow that can even reach above 40 every 3 secs where I can heal up max 33 each 5 secs (usually mend is 22-27).
Ghandi

Postby Melodor » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:40 am

It is true that currently paladins have to compromise themselves to obtain the very best heaing potions (RP opportunity for those who won't). However, there are other healing potions you can use: life does not revolve around goldens, although they are nice.

For now, one can argue that the paladin is perhaps the least in need of healing potions: he can wear good armour and can vig/mend well in battle, whilst every other class would be using their MP to cast offensively or has small healing ability. There is also the argument that a true paladin would be too honourable to use tricks such as quaffing healing potions in battle. If magic and missile weapons can be considered unpaladinlike, I'm sure such aids as healing potions could be similarly regarded. But we see few stubborn and fierce dwarven paladin types lately.

Healing and offensive casting being put on separate timers would involve a lot of work and would affect the balance. Very high level creatures do so much damage you perhaps cannot heal yourself in time, but the paladin is already a powerful class, (especially compared to others at the lower levels) and the ability to vig more frequently would worsen the balance. These issues are known and we have some inventive solutions, but currently paladins are far from weak or seriously disadvantaged and the to do list is very long.
Melodor

Postby Ghandi » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:18 pm

About the armour i disagree. We can wear quite some armour, true, but if you look at all the classes available, you will notice that paladins are in the middle or maybe even lower. Assassins, barbarians, druids, fighters, thieves all have a lower ac than i can have with my paladin -6 max with ring, dalla and protection spell. A paladin is famoused about their shiny armour. Would expect we should have a lower armour class.
Ghandi

Postby Melodor » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:33 pm

Alright, quickly:
1) Assassins and thieves have the avoidance skill and although this helps them get a good AC their fighting ability suffers if they do wear the armour. And look at the vigging power of your average assassin if they do get hit - 1 or 2HP?
2) Are you seriously comparing paladins with druids and claiming paladins are badly off? You have far more HP for a start. Druids with barkskin are the exception not the standard.
3) Barbarians and fighters can wear pretty much the same armour as paladins, but you may be comparing yourself with those who have racial bonuses (half-giants, half-orcs) and/or higher dexterity.
4) You could improve your armour. There is more out there than you have. Get the orb out and search for it. :-)
Melodor

Postby Kampfer » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:36 pm

Yah.. Ghandi have a point.. I should have a Spiked Blackstar Armour and a Mithral Tower shield +3 only because Darkknight should be as dark as a night without moon.

nahhhh just kidding :wink:
Kampfer

Postby Ghandi » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:34 am

Besides my steel collars (obtaining dragon scale and diamantium versions are out of the question for my paladin, the dragon scale versions even for every living player) and rings i've got the best armour around a hobbit can wear i think. Could improve my rings, but the drops are rare,very rare. And if there's something better than dragon scale, please tell :lol: , since rest of my armour is made with dragon scale or mithril :roll:
Ghandi

Postby Melodor » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:22 pm

Certainly -7 (-8 with protect) is possible for Ghandi (tested).
You can definitely improve upon your armour but you will have to search.
Melodor

Postby Happy » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:01 am

I got two dragon scale collars! I am not dead!

You little halfling could wear gnomish runic thingy! Who cares if the ghost is good or evil, use your divine ability to put them to rest!
Happy

Postby Scorpion » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:52 pm

gnomish runed collars are medium, not small (they were small, not anymore)
Scorpion

Postby Keezheekoni » Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:39 am

Hmm it almost sounds like you aren't interested in searching for more armour... That doesn't seem right. Tha both of you (Scorpion and Ghandi), I never heard of you two not searching. Now stop the whining and find some armour.
Keezheekoni

Postby Ghandi » Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:42 am

True, we search a lot. But even for us, unfortunately, some stuff is unfindable. And ac -8!! Hmm, then there probably is something better than dragon scale around. Why didn't you forget removing that stuff :P Indeed i had two small gnomish collars, but those were bug-ones and of course the smithy broke those eventually (maybe add different skills to different smithies, each with their own pricing). Now they are all medium sized. Maybe i should commit some sins to obtain dragon collars. Need a lot of healing support though. Im probably turned grey by the time im finished preparing :roll:
Ghandi

Next

Return to Suggestions