Death

Got an idea? Keep it to yourself!! Just kidding, leave them here and discuss them with your fellow players.

Death

Postby Scorpion » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:53 pm

This is something everybody hates. But i really don't like it at higher lvls, cause you can loose 300k-500k xp, which is too much to regain. Anyway, i'm suggesting less xp loose when you die. Or at least, something else. It's just way too annoying to regain all the xp (like i lost like 1M xp with 3 chars in 1 month).
Scorpion

Postby Ghandi » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:00 pm

Death is indeed something that can annoy me very much. Suggestion from my side: decrease the amount of % you lose at each death at the same lvl.

To make myself more clear: Ghandi for example died quite some times at lvl 18 losing 350k-400k each time. My idea is that after your first death, you will lose bit less when you die again. So instead of 1/6 of your total amount, maybe 1/7 and less each time you die at that lvl. When you reach the next lvl, the % is reset to 1/6 for that lvl. I think this will push players more to play further after deaths.

-- Ghandi
Ghandi

Postby jagg » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:03 am

I'm not convinced, I think it's just the price you pay. Last time Jagg died, it was his first for a while, so he lost a lot of hard-won weapon proficiency (like 5% of each *sigh*). That really smarted, but you've just got to get back on the horse and build it back up, and you'll get there in the end. Now he has passed the point he was previously and then some, so it's not impossible to regain what you've lost. If there's no (or less) danger in dying, what's the point?

By the way, I'll be crying as much as anyone next time I take a trip to Limbo...
jagg

Postby Ghandi » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:06 am

When you look back 3/4 year at Ghandi, you will notice he had more xp back then, then he has now. So getting there at the end does not always count for everyone. When i try regaining xp and %, im hardly Rp-ing at all, leading to some comments. When RP-ing, gaining your hard earned % and back will go extremely slow.
Ghandi

Postby Kampfer » Thu Sep 02, 2004 4:22 pm

I must agree with both of us.. we die.. we MAY deserve it cause bad luck or thing like that.. but dying from lag or bug just piss off people and punish them for "no" reason.. and its true its a damn long road to do to regain all the 500-600k exp.. Kampfer died 1 or 2 times since lvl 18 and I still didn't regain every lost points.

finding a way to be less punish because you are high lvl... even losing more % to replace the amount of exp is a solution.

well.. I may need more time to think to something about that... but that was my "in the moment" point of view.
Kampfer

Postby Kaedan » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:25 pm

Dying to a bug? I can't even remember the last time that happened!

As for dying to lag, well we've done pretty much all we can to make that as unlikely as possible with all the lagflee stuff.

The main reasons for someone dying are that they made a mistake, were simply unlucky or they're teamed up with someone who gets them killed... If we make death too easy to get over, people who die often won't learn how to not die.

--Kaedan
Kaedan

Postby Scorpion » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:23 am

Dying to a bug?

Well, last time i know of is with laewyn. Sended email to shihan, but no response.

Bug was that i attack creature, creature flees to place where guards are. I go to that place and i see guards join before i even saw the room texts. -> DIE.

And i'm sure death isn't easy to come over now. Oh well, at least with me. Don't fee like regaining all the xp again. I know i can get 15-20k/hour at goblin camp with scorpion, but that gets boring.
And for mages... well, with this new system xp goes really really slow. (<-- COMPLAINING). Still don't like the new mage system.

Oh well, guess it starts to get boring to play (for me).
Scorpion

Postby Qoith » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:16 am

Scorpion wrote:Bug was that i attack creature, creature flees to place where guards are. I go to that place and i see guards join before i even saw the room texts. -> DIE.

I have a death due to guards joining in when they shouldnt - i bug reported it - was told that they knew about that bug but they just can't track it down :(

I always find RP very difficulty but doubly so after I die. However surely the "relative" loss at lower levels is the same at upper levels - losing 1000 at lvl 5 seems impossible for new players - losing 30000 at lvl 9 is not fun - i can't imagine losing the types of exp being talked about here but then i can't imagine having that much to lose either :p

Is the problem more that there are so many more risks needed to be taken to regain the exp at high levels - or are there few monsters to kill at the high levels so you have to wait for re-pops - i know i always tone down my kills after a death and so the rate of gain of exp slows down as well.
Qoith

Postby Melodor » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:22 am

Scorpion wrote:Well, last time i know of is with laewyn. Bug was that i attack creature, creature flees to place where guards are. I go to that place and i see guards join before i even saw the room texts. -> DIE.

The visible bug here is that you get the early warning -- if a badly injured fellow runs up to the guards, it's pretty much their job to protect him, whether the source of his injuries is immediately before them or not. The bug of you hearing about them taking his side against you before you entered the room gave you a chance to avoid the fight with the guards entirely. Thus this bug is something that should have helped to *prevent* your death. it did not cause your death.

Regarding reporting the bug: Shihan is an extremely busy person and gets a large amount of game related hassle, most of which is more significant that anything relating to a single character -- such as hacking attempts and large, complex recoding projects. Liaisons are the first point of contact for players. Also, sometimes there is no obvious response -- you got warned before you saw the guards -- okay, so we will investigate that... you can assume that.

(RESPONSE TO COMPLAINT -> )
The game is constantly in development and we are constantly discussing changes that will add to the depth and interest of the game -- the main obstacles are old mordor-isms, lack of time and the fact that we are letting people play the game and don't want to take away from their enjoyment if we can avoid it. The long overdue modifications to stun were balanced -- it's harder to stun creatures which are a much higher level than yourself, but easier to stun creatures which are lower; and at the same time we added critical spells.

If all you are interested in is gaining experience quickly and being overpowered rather than playing a balanced and challenging game, then perhaps you should experiment with other MUDs. Mages were somewhat overpowered here for a long time. It was incorrect that relatively low level mages could take out virtually any creature in the game with virtually no risk. If your experience gain is genuinely affected then you must have been playing your mage in a rather unrealistic way which other classes couldn't contemplate and which we don't want to support (multiple runs on much higher level creatures). If you are attacking creatures you can kill in one run (i.e. reasonable targets for your level) then there is almost no difference, other than critical spells giving you occasional bonus damage! If on the other hand you feel that you somehow have the unique right to be able to routinely take out Grand Master Yang-Shi without any risk... pleasant dreams...
Melodor

Postby Scorpion » Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:34 am

I know why mages are changed, but i just don't like it.
Scorpion

Postby brent » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:40 pm

Scorpion wrote:I know why mages are changed, but i just don't like it.
why did they change mages then??? :?:
brent

Postby Ghandi » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:36 pm

I cannot kill creatures of my own lvl at all. Usually lvl 17 creatures beat me up as well. Wish we could have multiple runs
Ghandi

Postby Scorpion » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:43 pm

Brent, see "Mages new style" at the ooc section
Scorpion

Postby Scorpion » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:30 am

OK, another suggestion for death penalty.

Instead of loosing 1/6 of your total amount of xp, let's say you loose 1/6 (or other ratio) of the amount you need to lvl. For example, you are lvl 6 you will lose 1/6 of 16384 (This is the amount what you need to get when you are lvl 6 to get to lvl 7), which means you will loose 2.7k xp. Perhaps you need to loose like 1/5 or 1/4, but that's not for me to decide. Now don't think you can't dlvl, cause you have have 18000 xp and you die and loose that 2.7k xp, that you will dlvl. Oh, and for the smart people who like to collect xp withother lvling, you could make the 1/x value higher.

perhaps this is a good idea, well, i think it is.
Scorpion

Postby Kampfer » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:29 pm

Wow.. i'm stupid.. because I don't understand where is your point Scorpion.. I know my english is so so but as I can see i'm not the only one :)
Kampfer

Next

Return to Suggestions