Reusable magic items

Got an idea? Keep it to yourself!! Just kidding, leave them here and discuss them with your fellow players.

Reusable magic items

Postby jagg » Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:50 am

Could have some items that would recharge over time, allowing casting of a spell every few minutes. Hopefully not grossly unbalancing if it was a mend or single offensive spell.
jagg

Postby Scorpion » Mon Oct 11, 2004 3:31 pm

recharge, alchemists can do that.. but costs a lot of gold i heard. but idea sounds good. some wands that can be used every 2 hours or somehting like that
Scorpion

Postby Ghandi » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:26 pm

Well, i think we should enhance the power of rods. Now, they are a lot weaker than spells cast by players. Most players just sell rods, instead of using them. Giving them more importance might improv their use.
Ghandi

Postby Qoith » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:39 am

Ghandi wrote:Well, i think we should enhance the power of rods. Now, they are a lot weaker than spells cast by players. Most players just sell rods, instead of using them. Giving them more importance might improv their use.

I agree - basically "wands" containing offensive spells are of little interest to players because they don't do the same damage as the cast of the spell. Surely if the user of the "wand" is a proficient magic user then the "wand" should do at least the same damage as a cast. The fact that most are sold highlights that they are not seen as a useful item - and they should be.
Qoith

Postby Ghandi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:31 am

My idea would be that you should not look at magic users, but to those who don't use magic often (by capable to cast a bit). Now they just fail, fail, fail and using rods is just not a good idea. By making rods work all the time, no matter how good or bad you are at casting, should improve their use. But the idea of Qoith by making the spells do more damage if you are a better caster could be combined with this.

My opinion is that someone has already succesfully put a spell in a rod, so why would someone fail using one. Just like items as potions, spell is already in it.
Ghandi

Postby Valiant » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:05 pm

I agree... spells on wands should not fail. But as the spell is already cast to be inside the wand/rod, the damage should not depend on the user's skill, rather on that of the enchanter (now then Tipsy's enchanted wands might get interesting :D)
Valiant

Postby Kampfer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:20 pm

ok I seems to be the only dungeons and dragons player here with a bunch of corerule books which explain why things SHOULD work like that or not.. ok LOS isn't a AD&D based game but some stuff are taken from it.. like the 10 to -X AC.. its a second edition AD&D system..

so I will explain how its working in this corerule book about the wands and staves.

using a magic device require a minimum of magic skills and knowledge.. if you don't know how to use them you will fail it for sure. like if you need an activation word or an incantation to do. and in the second edition only thieves had the skill to use magical device (and casters) in the third edition everyone was allowed to use them.

now the dmg from a spell inside a wand... the dmg stored in the wand are equal to the spellcaster level.. in AD&D a mage lvl 5 can start to cast fireballs.. which does 1d6 dmg per lvl.. so for a mage lvl 5 the dmg from the wand will be 5d6... if a mage lvl 10 make a wand the spell will deal 10d6 dmg.

thats how its working (and probably logical) about a wand should be.. BUT AGAIN LoS isn't AD&D so variation from that could be done to adjust the rating of the wands used in the lands.

I think like everyone too.. wands don't deal enough dmg to be useful to me.. well.. even a burn from kampfer deal more damage then a shatterstone rod so I won't keep them and I will simply sell them... and even the price for such items isn't high enough.

a thing we could had from those wands could be "visit the Amber Mage to recharge your wands for a fee" fee could work from (base cost x mage lvl x lvl of the spell)

The Amber Mage.. Farside.. Galm(for healing wands).. and some others could offer the services.. and each of them deal different price due to there levels so a spell could be more powerful if you charge it from Farside than the barbarian shaman for exemple.

oh well.. I speaked enough :wink:
Kampfer

Postby Steejo » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:47 pm

Could you tell me what the (eg) 10d6 thing means cause i play d&d games but i dont have a clue what they are ment to mean. I know it has something to do with dicerolls but thats about all i know
Steejo

Postby Qoith » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:49 pm

from my understanding 10d6 is 10 rolls of a 6-sided dice
Qoith

Postby Kampfer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:12 pm

WOW.. you play D&D and you don't know what 10d6 means... amazing... open your player's manual and read a little.. its written that way in the book... wow.. I still don't believe it.. you probably suck at D&D too if you never saw anything like that in a manual.. that means you probably didn't read it and don't know rules at all... do me a favor.. read it.. you already too lazy to write "bye" correctly on irc.. so put yourself together and read!

Calvaire
Kampfer

Return to Suggestions