New alias - HIT, or H.

Got an idea? Keep it to yourself!! Just kidding, leave them here and discuss them with your fellow players.

New alias - HIT, or H.

Postby Scorpion » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:07 pm

New alias - HIT, or H. Although K(ill) still works we've aliased H(it) to help maintain the atmosphere of LoS not being about killing and death.

I think it's a good idea.. to add HIT alias. But only replacing the KILL alias would make me/us use hit, since the KILL alias is programmed into our brains.

And not being about killing and death?!? Yes.. RP, but mostly LoS is build for lvling and going on quests, defeat monsters. If you attack someone you want to kill him.
If you want to change that atmosphere, you should add other ways to earn xp. Like transporting stuff from a perm from A to B, helping farmers to obtain their crops, cleaning up the streets, build stuff (like weapons) and sell them etc etc etc etc.

That way, you can choose not to kill (*cough*, hit) stuff and still lvl up.

But it's a step forwards.
hmm, now i think of it. Maybe other players can see the difference between hit and kill. If a dk attacks a pally, he could use kill. Therefore others should see messages containing more killing stuff.
But if a barbarian attacks something.. he should hit.

hmmm... just some thoughts
Scorpion

Re: New alias - HIT, or H.

Postby Melodor » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:07 am

Do you imagine for a moment that these things have not been though of by the staff? Do you have any conception of how long it takes to design and balance ideas correctly, so that they enrich the game's atmosphere and add a balance of reward and risk, let alone how difficult it can be to implement them into the system.

As it says in the news, very soon you will be able to earn experience from peeking (and the risk has increased correspondingly). It's become possible to buy RP armour for some classes, to make trade ins for dragonscale and evil weapons, to collect ingredients and have potions mixed. We have patrolling guards and creatures which recognise when allies to their class are hurt and heal them, creatures which block enemies and stand aside for allies, creatures which pray with and bless pious allies, creatures which summon help when they are attacked.

The staff are well aware that each thing is "only" a small step and do not need to hear your whinging tones -- you've not even bothered to fully explore the latest areas and quests so we could very well have all sorts of quests.

Finally, we did not remove the "kill" command because we felt it would have been unkind to force people to relearn how to defend themselves.
Melodor

Postby Scorpion » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:26 am

yes, i did thought about that you thought about it, and no, i don't really have a clear picture of how long something takes to build in, since i don't make games, but i was just giving my idea's.

Well, I'll better stop talking here until I xplored everything and know everything before even thinking about posting here.

Adios,

-Meglaz
Scorpion

Postby Melodor » Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:47 am

Sorry if I was a bit harsh with my response, Scorpion. Plans for development of alternative ways to get experience have been in the works a long long time. Already you can get experience through healing, certain non-kill quests, stealing and through rolepay. It will develop but that takes a lot of work and a lot of motivation too, when this is purely a hobby for which the only reward is to see other people genuinely enjoying, appreciating and making the most of the game. It is intensely demotivating when players abuse or complain about the game, it makes those who put in the long hours ask what the point is in making that effort.

LoS does have a pretty positive and supportive player base and that is something to be valued. Here's a suggestion for you: think what you can do to make LoS better -- because the interactions of the players are a very big part of what LoS is. If you can try to be a bit more positive (not just on the forum but online) it may help bring about some of the developments we are all wanting.
Melodor

Postby Kampfer » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:43 pm

well.. my idea about making something good for los in-game is quite strange and still don't know if its a good idea too.. maybe you could answer to it.

i'm trying to push people to act like their level (with Kampfer) and since few months people seems a bit more acting like it.. I don't have anymore lower wanting to fight with me :twisted:

and I'm also trying to push people to join factions or groups or at least giving a thought on what kind of belief they have.. cause I see alot of them don't have purpose in life else than killing a million usher :wink:

sadly the way to achieve that is violent and scary.. I'm trying to make people living in fear so they will join other people to feel stronger and safe *cough* bullsh*t *cough* or to be scared of everyone or joining me and live like a slave of the rest of their life.... doh... I mean joining me and gaining more power.

I don't play Kampfer as a searcher of treasure like Ghandi.. but more about RP and I want to accomplish a special task on los.
Kampfer

Postby Melodor » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:30 pm

And this is something we have noticed and really appreciate. It is very difficult to play an evil character, you do really have to have had quite a bit of experience with the game and be able to express yourself convincingly. Despite an inauspicious start, Kampfer does now add a lot to LoS, in particular an element of darkness and menace which is very hard to pull off -- and is something that requires not only a lot from the actor but from the supporting cast. Well done.
Melodor

Postby Kampfer » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:51 pm

woah.. thx

but its not that difficult to be evil.. just have to live my life and it will come easy :evil:

and I agree with the fact if a player knows a little bit better the land its more easy to get stronger and confident in actions and by the same way develop the RP.

everybody.. don't worry everything will come in time... well.. after Kampfer has annihilated you!
Kampfer

Postby Kampfer » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:58 pm

oh.. to add to that.. my beginning.. yeah sorry about that lol .. being transformed into a rat didn't suit me very well due to my level of english.. I make alot of effort to make it better so talking like a rat is kind of downgrading my english .. which is not good I think lol
Kampfer

Return to Suggestions