Negative spells

Got an idea? Keep it to yourself!! Just kidding, leave them here and discuss them with your fellow players.

Negative spells

Postby Ghandi » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:54 am

Most of us have spells that pump us up a little, like bless and protection. What im suggestion is that some creatures might the ability to weaken you. So instead of boosting your defense, the creature lowers it for a short while. Same with bless...the creature now make you hit less. Seems more realistic to me that way. What do you think about it?
Ghandi

Postby Kampfer » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:56 am

well.. I would prefer Kampfer had bane (-1) instead of bless (+1) :)
Kampfer

Postby Broken » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:37 pm

I find that to be an excellent idea. Bane would be a good name for the negative bless too. I wouldn't mind having something to lower my enemies resistances, such as weaken-fire (- prot-fire) or lower-fire (- res-fire). I assume this idea is already on that monstrous to do list though.
Broken

Postby Kaedan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:05 am

Certainly it's a good idea, yes. We've had "curses" on the wish list for a very long time, althought really we've (I've) been waiting till we split up the magic spellbooks a bit more, and make a number of changes to the way magic works.

Making things weak to magic realms is sadly not really viable as it'd make casters too powerful.

Inverted bless or protect spells will likely to go in under the current system, although as ever these things take time...
Kaedan

Postby Ghandi » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:32 pm

In addition to curses i have another idea. Maybe a spell or potions that contain the purify spell. This cleans all active spells (or only negative ones, you can add another curse spell that cleans all positive spells).
Ghandi

Postby Valiant » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:08 pm

And while we're at it... ;)

How about binding some spells to an alignment ?

For example: Bless = good, Curse = evil.
This might create a difference in abilities of both good and evil characters, making things slightly more interesting.

Hmmmm... Dispel Magic spells, that would be good :)
Valiant

Postby Kampfer » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:17 pm

the only problem with that Valiant is if we say bless should be use for good only and curse for evil.. what about vigor and mend? should stay neutral? if a evil can heal himself why he couldn't bless himself to fight better goods :)

BUT I will agree on the "I don't think a Paladin could curse on anyone" :twisted:
Kampfer

Postby Valiant » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:14 pm

Kampfer wrote:the only problem with that Valiant is if we say bless should be use for good only and curse for evil.. what about vigor and mend? should stay neutral? if a evil can heal himself why he couldn't bless himself to fight better goods :)

BUT I will agree on the "I don't think a Paladin could curse on anyone" :twisted:

Vigor and Mend, just to make things even more complicated, could be restricted to self-healing for evil creatures.

But perhaps there's another way - make everything possible for everyone, but make them count towards your alignment. I.e. casting curse will make you evil, while healing someone else will turn you good. Something along that lines... RP would then decide which spells one should use, and which one shouldn't. Some of this could be even automated (to a certain limited extent), for example, a paladin casting curse will lose both his aura and rp score. Same for a DK healing someone else.
Valiant

Postby Ruan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:53 pm

The trouble with anything which is effectively automated RP counting is that for almost any aspect it is possible to think up a scenario in which the person acting against it would be faithful to their RP. For example it is almost without exception going to be bad RP for a paladin and a dark knight to group together. We could use code to make the grouping impossible, or we could penalise the pair every "tick" that they remain together or... But what if there was a good reason? Perhaps the paladin is seriously troubled and the dark knight is attempting to convert him -- or vice versa. Perhaps the paladin has been temporarily blinded by a spell and the dark knight is pretending to help him but leading him to his death..?

We prefer, where possible to use a lighter touch and if one of us saw such a grouping we would OOC you to see whether there was a convincing RP reason to earn a + or whether it was just "faster exp" to earn a -.

The suggestions in this thread are getting into the realms of the many things that we would like to do but can only move slowly towards.

Aside: we did consider auto -RP for people that spam the server like crazy, sending 15 attack commands per second or more, but then we decided that the fact that they can't see what they are doing and frequently land up in limbo is punishment enough.
Ruan

Postby Kampfer » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:32 pm

Valiant wrote:for example, a paladin casting curse will lose both his aura and rp score. Same for a DK healing someone else.

talking about that.. due to Kampfer's RP, which "have" minions and he "care" (hahahahahah) about their survival.. especially after the last raid of the curse which killed everyone in the clan.. he should be able to heal his minions without losing exp.. cause not only kampfer want to heal.. but he also punish with his "three headed whip" the minion who did something "bad"

so here a request :wink: could it be possible to remove the exp lost for kampfer within the clan? :D
Kampfer

Return to Suggestions