Lock Picking

Got an idea? Keep it to yourself!! Just kidding, leave them here and discuss them with your fellow players.

Lock Picking

Postby Kampfer » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:09 am

Why not all player could open locked door? like using 'lock pick' (with level on them, for difficulty of the chest/door) so only professional thieves could open the best.
Kampfer

Postby Ruan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:16 am

You may was well ask why can't all classes circle or hasten or sing. Why have classes at all? The answer? -- It's something that gets discussed a lot but would involve huge change.
Ruan

Postby jagg » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:12 pm

One thing that I've often found frustrating though is an inability to kick down doors. Half-giants, being big and hugely strong etc... Might be fun
jagg

Postby Ruan » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:15 pm

Well... yes and no. Suppose we allowed Jagg to kick down doors (ones that are not made of stone or magically enhanced, anyway). Then when the door is lying in splinters on the floor, the previously locked area is open to everyone. And in many forgotten, hidden or otherwise out of the way places, perhaps it is opened forever when the old door is kicked in, because no-one is there to fix it (when it is merely unlocked, the idea of it auto-locking when it swings shut just mirrors many real-life front doors). So, as appealing as the idea is, there are some other factors to consider...
Ruan

Postby Kampfer » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:21 am

good point
Kampfer

Postby Broken » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:13 pm

Jagg heaves his foot into the tavern door.
The tavern door withstands Jagg's kick!
Jagg heaves his foot into the tavern door.
The tavern door breaks from it's hinges and crashes onto the floor!
(a few minutes later)
Several dwarves arrive and repair the broken tavern door.

Just a thought, depending on the environment a certain creature(s) could appear later to repair the door. I agree with Jagg's concept of kicking doors in, as I had thought of it once myself back in the day, but this implementation would probably only do good in future developed areas, so as not to complicate currently locked areas. A place I'd have in mind would be that new elven city. An elf might lock his door if he saw a darker looking fellow walking down the streets, and it would be nice to have a big dumb barbarion to kick the door in. I don't know if what I just said makes any sense (kinda drunk...) but yeah, just a thought.
Broken

Postby Kampfer » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:35 pm

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHA.. you are excused :)

and its quite a good idea.. probably based on str/race
Kampfer

Return to Suggestions