Blacksmith commands: Fix, Value.. Adjust?

Got an idea? Keep it to yourself!! Just kidding, leave them here and discuss them with your fellow players.

Blacksmith commands: Fix, Value.. Adjust?

Postby Kampfer » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:53 pm

why not adding the fonction 'Adjust'.. you take a large armour and you go to the blacksmith and you ask to make it at your size for a certain amount.. maybe same as repair cost, this one too could break the piece of armour you try to resize. standard adjust could be large to medium... medium to small... large to small.. so you won't miss any material to adjust ...or... each time you do the adjust command it adjust it automatically to the next lower size.. so from large to small they could ask twice price cause its quite alot of work to resize that.

JP!
Kampfer

Postby Ghandi » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:06 am

Though your idea seems to be tempting for smaller chars like Ghandi and Finch, I think this would take away the charm of finding the right size of armour. Maybe it's better to make sure of every piece of armour, every size is available in the lands.

If a large diamantium armour suit is easy for you to get, but a normal size is not, the quest for obtaining the normal sized suit would be gone if you could easily resize the item, making you able to skip the risky fights, but still getting the wanted item.

Now it is 'unfair' that some races could have a better armour class then others, just because of their size, that I agree with you.
Ghandi

Postby Kampfer » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:53 am

exactly.. trying to find a pair of diamantium gauntlets medium size is quite a sport. without talking about those damn steel boots medium size. and alot of small things which are not only hard and could remove the challenge but would be more practical to resize than wasting 3weeks of preparation (gathering potions) only to get a pair of boots or gauntlets.
Kampfer

Postby Ghandi » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:55 pm

I don't have any objection about long preparations for obtaining items..in your case medium steel boots. Same counts for small steel helm, which is also very hard to get. But at least they are in the game and finally having those items should give some satisfaction and also gives you the ability to show it around. Don't think resize should be there for those items. It's also a thrill to be the first to find those items.

In case of hard leather I agree with you. That stuff can only be obtained in medium size, while lots of smaller creatures walk around who could use it as well. I think that diamantium stuff comes in all sizes by now.
Ghandi

Postby Broken » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:03 pm

I like the idea...
Broken

Postby jagg » Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:21 pm

I like the idea too, despite the, ahem, possibly selfish motivations for suggesting it :lol:

My worry would be that it could bias race selection towards those that could benefit from the greatest availability of armour via resizing. Would the half-giant barbarian become a thing of the past? Is there enough stuff from the ogres for example to balance the benefit of being small? Perhaps resizing could be limited to steel or inferior armour - it would be fairly easy to justify this on the grounds of increasing protection/decreasing ease of working and reworking.

I think the effects of this new ability would need careful thought before introduction.
jagg

Postby Scorpion » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:18 am

I don't agree with ajusting armour.

I think it's quite good to search around to get armour. This way you discover more about the lands and meet more different places. For monks... well, they don't use armour, so they don't need to search for that. they can do their killing spree laps around the citys without bothering for armour or weapons. That's why it's so easy to get them high lvl that fast.

But, talking about armour. Perhaps it's an idea to add armour... i actually mean clothing... which don't lower ac. Offcourse there is some now, but wouldn't it be nice if there was a clothing shop for human to buy their clothes. Black, blue, red... You can get some now, but somehow a bit 'hard' for the town people. But i'm also thinking about dwarven leathers, elven clothes, half-giant (although not that much) leather stuff etc etc. Just for each race some clothing. Just for more rp-ing. For example, a thief/assassin, who can survive without armour cause of their skill, it would be fun to wear that, instead of leather stuff. Paladins don't wear shiny armour when they don't need to hunt evil, but just for sitting a bar, getting drunk.

A bit off topic... but still.

btw, i don't know all shops, so i'm sorry if there is allready normal clothing for sale. ("And that after 5 or 6 years???? *blush*)
Scorpion

Postby Ghandi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:34 am

I don't recall that there are any special small sized armour pieces. For half-giants you have ogre and basilisk scale stuff, for medium sized races there is hard leather, but i haven't found any specific small stuff yet. But I do like the idea of adding race-clothes, like indeed elven leather, dwarven steel. And within every race, you have special suits for different ranks. It could definately give more personality to a char. Of course a gnome can wear dwarven stuff an vice versa, but unless that person has rp-motivations behind it, I think it would be less likely.

I was glad the white castle update was there, finally being able to wear some good stuff, lowering ghandi's ac to -4 (which i think it still should be better for paladins, but that's another discussion :wink: )

Scorpion mentions about searching through the lands and discovering new places. Despite the places I just can't reach due to aura problems, I think I've been to at least 95% of all known places, perhaps more. Don't know exactly how much is undiscovered, but I don't think that it would be a lot. Would be great if the DM would give a hint of amount of undiscovered places, motivating us to search further more.

For changing clothes, thieves and assassins can decrease their ac quite a bit with clothing. But wearing 'normal' clothes. Not sure about that. I agree that for RP-reasons it could add, but I think that seeing people change their clothes all the time in the Chapel or medic centre would drive me crazy. My screen would be filled with useless information. Between those lines something interesting might be.

Just my point of view
Ghandi

Postby jagg » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:14 am

Ghandi wrote:I don't recall that there are any special small sized armour pieces. For half-giants you have ogre and basilisk scale stuff, for medium sized races there is hard leather, but i haven't found any specific small stuff yet.

Yes you have... Come on, try harder. Let me give you some clues - T******** P**** and G****** R**** C*****?

This is fun!
jagg

Postby Ghandi » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:20 am

First I figured out, but I thought they were medium sized because my assassin (gnome) couldn't wear them. But that's probably a class restriction then.

And the second one is medium sized, though the name might suggest something else. The first were indeed small, but that seemed to be a bug, so it was changed.
Ghandi

Postby Kampfer » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:06 pm

well I like how this topic goes :)

and I must continue with my idea and actually Jagg brought a good point.. the armours adjustment should be well thought in the choice of which one can and which one can't.

and I agree also the fact of clothes.. maybe like Ghandi said, not "normal" clothes but more colorful equipment.. which could probably join a previous topic dropped around by Ruan -> http://losbb.creative-realms.net/viewto ... highlight=
Kampfer

Postby Erill » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:48 pm

I'm all for normal clothing...in fact, Erill has had normal clothing for a good while now. He had to pay Zayin to get it together for him, but it was good RP (at least i thought so :) ). Since then when i get bored of the whole goody pally RP Erill gets changed and goes for a walk to think or calm down...its a pain when he gets jumped by werewolves wearing only silk tho XD.
Erill

Postby Ghandi » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:06 am

Erill is not smart then if he walks all the way north without wearing armour at all :wink:
Ghandi

Return to Suggestions