Help file for stats?

New to the Lands and feeling a bit lost? Ask for helpful explanations here. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Help file for stats?

Postby johann » Sun May 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Hi All,
Is there a helpfile for what the stats do for different characters anywhere? I love monks and am wondering what I need.

Strength - Does this just determine carrying capacity? I assume monks don't need much strength and have some other type of damage formula, but I've tried hobbits, humand and half-giants, and half-giants have done the most damage so far.

Dexterity - I figured it would help with AC, and it seems to do so. But what about with hitting and the like?

Constitution - Not affecting HP gained per level as in other RPGs, but only HP gained per tick? There is rumor is helps with the monk's "touch" ability or "meditate" recovery. Any truth to these?

Intelligence - I'm assuming mages need this. But does it affect ability to successfully cast spells and use staves, damage of such spells, etc?

Piety - I have no idea here. Any help?
johann

Postby Googe » Sun May 08, 2011 9:21 pm

First of all, Hi and Welcome, I don't remember seeing your name anywhere :)

There is no extensive helpfile concerning the stats modifier toward race/class but yes it does something.

With time some of us figured out some of them but I am not sure we are allowed to communicate such informations (shouldn't be a problem, its basic knowledge). So I guess Shihan or Kaedan might pass by eventually and clear this point out.
Googe

Postby johann » Sun May 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Great, thank you for your help! I did email Shihan with a few questions a couple weeks back, but haven't heard anything so I thought I would ask here.. Just before I get too far into the game before I realize I totally messed up on some stat that I might need later.
johann

Postby Valiant » Wed May 11, 2011 5:39 pm

From the back of my head, it should be more or less as follows:

Strength - Affects carrying capacity as well as hitting strength. I think this goes for monks too.
Dexterity - High dexterity grants an AC bonus. It helps thieving skills, like hiding and picking locks (I think). Also the searching skill may affected by this.
Constitution - Gives more HP per at high levels. Should also increase your resistance to poison and disease.
Intelligence - A lower fail rate on spells with high intelligence. For high level spells high intelligence is even a requirement, or you'll fail a lot. Might also affect the searching ability. Unsure, but I'll just assume here that you'll get more MP per tick as well if it's high.
Piety - Higher piety means your recharge ticks come faster after each other, making it generally useful for regeneration. Also affects some abilities and spells, like Turn Undead and healing.
Valiant

Postby Shod » Wed May 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Hey, I definitely can't claim to know much about how the stats actually work, but I've been playing as a monk in this game for a while now and the stats I've found myself wanting the most are Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence.

I'm fairly certain Strength will make you hit harder.

Dexterity will help with AC and I THINK it will increase your change to hit.

Intelligence will affect your ability to cast spells effectively and the damage they do. Monks aren't great spell casters it seems, but it's still make a big difference to be able to get a bit extra damage out.

Piety would be next in importance in my opinion. It'll make you tick faster and help you cast healing spells, and MAYBE help with the monks special abilities Meditate and Touch.

Constitution never seemed like a huge deal to me (although I could be totally wrong). You will need some of course, because until it hits a certain point you gain less hp per tick. After that certain point it doesn't seem to increase your health-per-tick until it gets quite high (unnecessarily high, in my opinion).

Hopefully this helps. Remember that I could be completely wrong though! Take these tips as vague hints rather than rules.
Shod

Postby Scorpion » Thu May 12, 2011 7:53 pm

Valiant wrote:Intelligence - Might also affect the searching ability.

Dex is for searching, but if you are a half-giant or a barbarian your statement is probably true ;)
Scorpion

Return to Newbie Help