Tourney questions

New to the Lands and feeling a bit lost? Ask for helpful explanations here. NO SPOILERS PLEASE!

Tourney questions

Postby kestrel » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:26 pm

I missed this last tourney (had to run errands and had time wrong by an hour)), but I had some questions since I have never been in one before.

Is there any penalty to being in the tourney? Normally, dieing costs you skill points and XP (if not pkill). Do any of these things happen in the tourney? Is there any advantages/bonuses that can be gained besides the title of tourney champion?

Any other comments about the tourney for those who have never been in it before would be appreciated.

Thanks . . . Kestrel
kestrel

Postby Valiant » Mon Apr 12, 2004 5:50 pm

Is there any penalty to being in the tourney? Normally, dieing costs you skill points and XP (if not pkill). Do any of these things happen in the tourney?

No. In fact, any pkill in the arena will not result in any loss if I'm not mistaken, nor count towards outlaw status (fairly recently introduced feature).

Is there any advantages/bonuses that can be gained besides the title of tourney champion?

Yes. Firstly the Ring of the Champions, with the most important feature that it's unbreakable. Secondly, the 'mystery prize'. Usually a powerful unique item, as a reward for the winner.

Any other comments about the tourney for those who have never been in it before would be appreciated.

It's a lot of fun. The more participants, the merrier ;). Oh, and tickets cost 1000 gold pieces, but that's well worth it.
Valiant

Postby brent » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:04 pm

when is the next tourney. i would like to find out personally what they are like :D
brent

Postby Scorpion » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:44 pm

every 2nd saturday of the month
Scorpion

Postby Kaedan » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:13 pm

Erm.. it is *not* every 2nd saturday, it's not fixed at all. They're whenever I go "let's have a tourney" or Ruan & Shihan manage to persuade me to keep them going. It just so happens that I do arrange one most months, but considering that you almost didn't have one last month simply because I'd had enough of the expectations of their continued existence, it may be a good idea to start not expecting them... or alternatively you could just start expecting to not have them.

I have said quite often enough that they are a 'gift', and should not be expected nor taken for granted.

--Kaedan
Kaedan

Postby jagg » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:28 pm

Actually I think they should be cancelled from hence forth - then I can retire as the UNDEFEATED TOURNEY CHAMPION! :P

Brent, keep an eye on the posters around town. Details of upcoming tournaments are often published there. When Kaedan *bow, scrape* is kind enough to generously *grovel, crawl* provide us unworthy players with such an undeserved treat ;-)
jagg

Postby brent » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:33 pm

the arena is through the gold portal in amber right?
brent

Postby Scorpion » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:38 pm

If i'm right the next tourney is next saturday.. hopefully the organizer will put new posters around the citys
Scorpion

Postby Steejo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:13 pm

Yey......wait a min.........i dont like tourneys. I keep dieing i just feel like some cannon fodder for the higher players like kampfer. I found myself running away all of the tourney.And then the monkey hunt........omg.........the monkey was hidden in a place i had no idea was there :cry:
Steejo

Postby Ghandi » Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:22 pm

You will learn through experience. Look at Jagg, even being a high lvl, he was cannon fodder, but he learnt from it. :wink:
Ghandi

Postby Kampfer » Wed Oct 06, 2004 2:05 am

yeah... sadly I was always in the first three of each tourney.. and never touch the first place.. I need more cannon fooder to get more pts.. and jagg.. try to forgot about the next tourney.. I WANT IT! :twisted:
Kampfer

Postby jagg » Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:01 am

It is going to be tough to win at lower levels, but I would recommend the experience. Now you know how fast and furious it is when players are seeking your blood - whch came as quite a shock to me the first time.

Some encouragements: Train and get stronger. Search out new things that will help - better weapons (*wonders if he can get another talon for the next tourney*), spells and armour. Try different tactics in each tourney until you hit on a good formula. Jagg must have been level 17-18 before he started in tourneys, so he had the strength, but still didn't win until his fourth or so. And that's because he wasn't fantastically well equipped and the strategies needed improvement.

Exploring and searching will help with the monkey hunt as well. It's not meant to be something you win by chance, it rewards a good knowledge of the game. You'll get there, Steejo, with patience and perseverance.
jagg

Postby Ghandi » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:00 am

And as i remember, Ghandi wasn't lvl 18 at all when he won the tourney. But that was with the knock out system and we had a hell of plan. A plan that more suited a rotten dark knight or an assassin, but hye...it worked. And in those days, crits made by hammer were pretty lethal. :lol:
Ghandi

Postby Keezheekoni » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:46 am

Ahh I remember that crit pretty well. I definitely thought I had it :D . --Blaze (speaking from dead... a spectre why not)

Good luck with next tourney folks, I hope I can attend.
Keezheekoni

Postby Steejo » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:52 pm

When is the next tourney?
Steejo

Return to Newbie Help