Handicap system for tourney

Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

Handicap system for tourney

Postby jagg » Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:33 am

I would love to win the tourney again, but perhaps it is not in order for the strongest characters to monopolise the fun. I think it's very good of Meglaz/Scorpion and Tipsy/Valiant to use their characters who haven't won it yet, rather than keep turning up with their previous winners. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of an suitable alternative character, so how about a small handicap for previous winners, to give everyone a chance? Maybe 5% per previous victory (the DMs might have a better idea of how much, knowing what the winning margins are) - that way Jagg can take part and fight to the fullest extent of his abilities, still having a chance of winning again, but giving a greater chance of someone new winning it.

What do people think?
jagg

Postby Melodor » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:53 pm

That's a typically Jagg posting if ever there was one! We should tie up your hands so you can't win again, of course.

The format is due for a change as a matter of fact: Kaedan wasn't expecting to run a tourney this month as there had been so little interest shown in it the past months. Otherwise, though, usually being last time's winner is enough to make people target you more, which is considered to be enough of a disadvantage.

Congratulations are well deserved: we've not had such a clear winner in this format before -- and to everyone else who has seen Jagg gradually climbing up the rankings at each tourney, it proves that persistance really can pay off.
Melodor

Postby Kampfer » Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:43 pm

I am persistant and I still arrive second.. something go wrong.. it must be a conspiration :evil:

Joking.. I still having fun to rampage around plus I'm getting less nervous at each tourney.. like a cold blood killer I will succed one day! :twisted:
Kampfer

Postby Scorpion » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:52 pm

Melodor wrote:That's a typically Jagg posting if ever there was one! We should tie up your hands so you can't win again, of course.

Agree on that, but not on Jagg' suggestion. The reason i choose for scorpion is that with this many people meglaz would be dead instantly, before killing someone. I can only stun 1 person, or someone has to give me room-stun.

Anyway, making me suffer cause i won it like 3 times now (2x Anubis, 1x Meglaz) isn't good at all.

But there's 1 thing i think should be changed during tourneys. Which is that if you get killed, heal and go back in you sometimes have to wait till you can attack someone or someone can attack you. You see this line:

You cannot strike this person yet!

That's all :)
Scorpion

Postby jagg » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:47 pm

Scorpion wrote:Anyway, making me suffer cause i won it like 3 times now (2x Anubis, 1x Meglaz) isn't good at all.

Woah, back up there - I didn't mean a penalty per player

I meant to handicap each character who has won it before (by a small amount) so the same ones don't win every time. I think it would be a Meglaz/Tipsy monopoly if they felt like being greedy - and maybe Jagg might have a shout with his new strategy :D Balancing things up makes it more fun for everyone, if they feel they've got an increased chance of winning, and will give people an incentive to turn up. Kampfer has been trying SO hard :twisted:
jagg

Postby Ghandi » Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:08 pm

Just wait until Ghandi competes again! Yes, he won it once and he might be lucky and win it again. How? By growling really hard :D . Now,. unfortunately, I had other more important things to do last few months on those saturdays, but i hope to be there in october. Just consider yourself lucky i was not there :P

Personally i dont think you should penalize chars. Some have already been weakened by updates (mages for example) and some just can not compete against casters (paladins for example), but that doesn't mean that if they won it once, you should make it even more harder for them to win it twice. Because i dont think you still have a fair fight then.
Ghandi

Postby Valiant » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:59 pm

Ghandi wrote:Personally i dont think you should penalize chars. Some have already been weakened by updates (mages for example) and some just can not compete against casters (paladins for example), but that doesn't mean that if they won it once, you should make it even more harder for them to win it twice. Because i dont think you still have a fair fight then.

I agree with that... the strongest should win (well, if he handles his strength properly :p). Who that strongest is, or who handles the strength better may change through tourneys, thus allowing someone else to take the title.

Scorpion wrote:But there's 1 thing i think should be changed during tourneys. Which is that if you get killed, heal and go back in you sometimes have to wait till you can attack someone or someone can attack you. You see this line:

You cannot strike this person yet!

Indeed a nasty feature, which I think is intended for combat situations outside the arena (preventing multikilling). Although I did notice it seemed a lot better than previous tourneys this time.
Valiant

Return to OOC Chat