What is your favourite class?

Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

What is your favourite class?

Postby Scorpion » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:18 pm

I created this topic because this way you can let others know why you like a class(es) so maybe they will create a new character in that class.

I'll start the topic then :P.
Perhaps you would expect it to be a paladin, mage or a barbarian cause i have high lvl chars of that, but no. My favourite class is the thiefs one. Why? Cause I like the idea the sneak around unnoticed, look what others are carrying and steal it from them (don't worry, i can't steal from a non-clan character). It's fun to sit in the chapel, people come in. Then i hide, peek and whistle. My thief is more a trader then an evil thief. But he just sells the items he got.

Why not pally, barb or mage?
Paladins are fun too, but just machines killing evil. Barbs are just strong and with mages you have to tick a lot.

Hope to hear from you
Scorpion

Postby Valiant » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:29 am

Which is my favourite depends on my mood of the moment. It varies which I play more (if I play at all lately :roll:).

But I agree, often I choose a thief, it's a fun class, though maybe slightly harder to play than some others.

Maybe an overview of my opinions:

Paladin: good fighter who can last longer than usual in large battles against npc's (e.g. hordes of low level goblins). Role play could be easy, but prohibits you from doing many things you may want to.

Dark Knight: also a good fighter, but better suited for 1 on 1 combat, rather than holding off larger groups. This will also cause a DK to require ticking more. Roleplay is basically the same as a paladin, but you're supposed to do the opposite. I recall failing miserably soon after I started a DK by helping out another player... Can be fun to play, if you do it right.

Fighter: maybe a bit boring - hack&slash and bragging about it. Much harder to roleplay, but if you can do it right, it just might break the boredom :)

Thief: not very strong in combat - backstabbing may give an advantage, but is risky. If you're looking for some quick levelling, a thief will not be your choice. However, enduring the first levels (which are always harder) may give some great rewards - the unique skills of the thief will become actually useful because they start working a bit more. Roleplay may be easy - everyone will hate you (unless you play the goody goody thief that only picks locks for the good people - which might turn out erm... boring). If you like causing mischief and confusion, and staying out of it yourself, a thief is your class :twisted:.

Druid: Boring! Not too much hp, not really much mp either. Hard to roleplay as well - do you really want to stay away from the towns ? I haven't been to high levels - I think it might get better then, but in the first levels, it's terrible. (notice how few druids are wandering the lands...)

Cleric: I don't think I've any experience with them. They're the most durable in combat - they'll easily outlast a paladin and maybe even pvp combat. I think roleplay would be boring - always preaching, but not with the sword, like a paladin does :roll:.

Ranger: Can be powerful in 1 on 1 combat, but don't last too long when assaulted continuously. For roleplay it's basically the same as a druid, maybe a bit more combat orientated.

Mage: Always wondered why this class is more abundant than alchemists. You won't easily run out of mp once you've obtained a decent level, but you need those extra mp to bind your foes so you don't die. There are many ways to roleplay a mage though: there's the option to be more passive, taking on well thought of fights, or you rush into everything you see with magic blasting all around. Or anywhere in between. A lot of choices, so rp wise, it's a versatile class.

Alchemist: Much like a mage, but less dependant on binding because of more hp and armour. Less mp perhaps - but much less risk of death when you run out!

Assassin: A bit stronger than a thief, but lacking some of the special abilities, which might turn out boring. Still not strong enough to match a real warrior in combat. Hard to roleplay, and you will be hated by many...

Barbarian: If you like easy combat without worrying about any magic, by all means, the barbarian is your class. For roleplay it's much like a fighter, though maybe with more emphasis on 1 on 1 combat with greater foes.

Monk: Unable to use much weapons, unable to use most armour - how boring does it get ? The most interesting happenings are "oh cool, look, my fist now hits for 1 more damage" and you have to work hard for that too. Maybe at higher levels the monk gets more interesting. As for roleplay, it's a solitary character. No grouping, no bragging, no drinking, no women... If you don't like grouping, but like to do things alone, this might be the class you're looking for.

In the end, any class can be fun - it strongly depends on how you play it. Pick something you identify yourself with, and you'll be playing an alter-ego in a virtual world ;)
Valiant

Postby Kampfer » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:16 am

well do I have to answer that question? DARK KNIGHT!!!!!!! well I think I proved I hold that class pretty good ;)

I agree with Valiant.. DK are for 1 vs 1 (or Kampfer vs Ghandi and Scorpion and Erill) ... well 1 vs 3.. but not more than that and I have to tick alot... for the RP of a DK it could be alot more than the opposite of a paladin ... trust me ;)
Kampfer

My opinions

Postby Eeli » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:11 pm

This forum seems to be less than active, so I figured Id add my two cents in hopes of maybe stirring up this old topic of what class is the best, or less aptly named at the moment as "your favorite class". This mud is great for figuring things out on your own as its encouraged above all other things, but I think there is a bit of info lacking in truly what each class can handle (or what theyre good for) and what they will never be able to do. This is all just my opinion and most of it is based on info I collected from this muds inception till up until a year or two ago (Im sure a lot has changed, seeing how involved these DMs are compared to most, gives you all the more reason to play here if you notice how fast muds come and go). Lastly Valiant did a great job on outlining the classes, take his info to heart as its bang on for the most part. I will list the classes in order of ability to handle most circumstances presented in the mud from top to bottom.

Ranger - In my mind the most powerful class when at its peak.
Great Weapons + Haste + stunning tactics or big healing or big casting is the best recipe Ive found for taking out huge mobs or perms. Con is that this class will cost you an arm and a leg for the armour and weapons he/she uses as without the best stuff this class is very lacking and hard to level for a first timer. Search and track are decent, but all in all finding things is about patience and smarts. Great class for someone who has a high lvl char and lots of money to throw around because nothing is better than a Ranger for adventuring for new secrets. Decent class for first timers, but not the greatest to start with. Stat suggestion - High str and pick and choose from there, good int for a caster/stunner, good pie for a hit and heal strategy or good dex for a straight fighter (which I wounldnt suggest).

Paladin - A very close second. The only reason this class isnt the best is its inability to solo stuff that a Ranger does. If you want to cruise around killing everything two levels lower without having to tick this is your class.
Hits hard, ticks superfast, has more armour options than Ranger (can wear everything pretty well), turn is one of the best skills, not too expensive, pretty easy to level and the kicker here, heals like crazy. The one and only one con I have though is the lack of fleeing, or if you like to flee, get ready to fight at least twice as many enemies to get your lost experience back. Great class for making money if you dont use all the best gear. Stat suggestion - High str and pie, even out your stats from there possibly avoiding the useless con stats, more int if you plan on having any casting or do without casting and keep from having an armour penalty with dex.

Barbarian - Let me first stress this, if you want to level up a class quickly without much time or money use this class (first timers). Barbarian is still a great class at its peak but... it lacks the all around ability of a ranger or paladin. Barbarians hit the hardest, wears everything, has the most hp and makes even wussy cheap weapons usable at high levels. They can handle stuff rangers and paladins cant, due to their ability to take mass amounts of punishment and use full heal potions to heal and combined with berserk, all in all they can probably solo everything in the mud. Circle and bash can keep you alive for awhile combined with a low AC, if you feel you need to make the extra effort. But man o man, will you spend a lot of time in the ticking spots, combined with the ability to really only hit stuff repeatedly leads to a very boring experience. Anyone starting this mud with illusions of grandeur or wanting to eventually have a high level char, start with a Barb till you get the feel of the mud and finances to set a new class up at the start to ease its leveling and provide a "big brother" in emergencies. Stats suggestion - High str and dex. Having only four stats to fill instead of five is great. Balance con and pie or put all stats into one of them, your call, I like a balance to get rid of penalties, but I dont know the coding so I cant tell you the "best" way.

Dark Knight - I really don't know too much about this class at high levels.
My favorite part about this class is the abundance of mobs that are good auras during the parts of the game that takes the most time to level (5 to 10). Evil mobs seemed to be grouped together in certain areas but good mobs are everywhere and plentyful. Berserk is alright, but because you have less hp its not as effective as the Barb. Harm is good but not great. This class is better from a rp standpoint as I cant see anyone choosing this class over a paladin for ability to kill. Use this class, be an idiot, attack everyone and get away with it seems to be the strategy employed most. This class is basically a paladin without the crazy healing and all offence, not a good combination for living long, in my opinion. Stats suggestion - High str and whatever from there, I know too little to offer much opinion after that.

Monk - Now compared to most that have played this mud, I know squat about monks except all the people that know more than I use them. I hate them flat out, they dont ever get that powerful compared to Rangers, Paladins or even Barbarians. I tried to level one up way back in the day with money and wands galore and failed miserably. Their saving grace is that they are easy to use and always have extra money (probably more so than any other class). You can custom them to no end also which I guess is a plus. From what I hear touch is decent, but not the devastating skill its supposed to be. One person once told me monks are for lazy people who dont mind the extra time it takes to get exp, and that is now my view on them, newbies beware unless you are quick with fleeing, ticking, returning, fleeing, ticking, returning...ad nauseum. I dont know much compared to most though and like I stated earlier almost all the people who have been on here forever or know this mud inside out use monks. Stat suggestion - Pick and choose and whatever you do dont ask me unless you want a crappy monk.

Alchemist/Mage/Cleric - Ive only ever gotten past level ten with a mage and that was in the days of cheap stunning every level 18 perm, have only seen a couple of decent level Alchemists and the only one I know to have the patience to raise a Cleric (Rygar) was Chelsea who raised a level 24 thief so thats a testament to her commitment. Alchemists and Clerics seem to be decent chars, but more of a support role. The battle mage tactics just dont seem to match the way los is set up now. Having a low thaco class which casts decent is useless with the low hp you get. I dont see how anyone using these classes solo with stunning dwarfed can get by without having to be a master at fleeing and finding tick spots, especially when dieing sets you back so much. They all have great support abilities so I would use one if you plan on grouping a lot with fighting classes (or other casters to balance the stun, but thats risky), to make the best of their abilities. Stat suggestions - High int and pie, your basic spellcasters so use the rest of the stats to define your secondary abilites.

Bard - I love the bards. Kind of a battle mage thats better than the others and more tuned towards fighting. They are great to have around hanging out in the tick spots. This class is a must for going after that big perm with a huge group. They are pretty easy to use. They have some good skills and the great sing skill. My one beef is that they are not the greatest class to solo with. Not saying they are bad, just not overly potent on their own. A decent newbie class as having one will greatly increase the want of others to group with you, which is what makes mudding so much more fun. A gripe I have about them though is the leveling quests, I dont know if theyve changed, but have fun is all I have to say, if you dont know this mud inside out you will be completely lost on some level quests. Quite possibly the hardest level quests are for this class. Stats suggestion - Ive seen so many different set ups that have worked with this class, so honestly pick and choose, more casting int and pie, more hitting str and dex.

Fighter - My opinion and many shared opinions by people that know much more than I, "stay away from the fighter". I dont know how much they have tweaked this class lately but man what a useless class back in the day. Basically a barb with a lot less hp and minor magic (almost useless magic). I also found they dont hit anywhere near what a barb does. Honestly I dont know what they do thats so great. All in all a great newbie class if you really dont want to use a barb or paladin as this is your next best option for simple fighting and learning the ropes. Stat suggestion - High str and dex, now the hard part, rest of the stats depend on how you want to use your fighter, if you do want to cast though, I highly suggest you get your intelligence to a point where it will be around 8 when you reach your desired level.

Assassin - My second favorite class to play. There is nothing more satisfying than hiding on command without fail, sneaking ten spaces or more at a time without being seen and best of all hitting for 100 plus in one shot. If you manage your aura with scrutiny this class is not too hard to level to 10, as the only thing youll be doing is bsing for huge amounts and one shot killing everything. Now the con is this, you will probably not see a huge increase in your fighting ability past 10. Bigger perms will always own you as you wont be able to go toe to toe with anything big. All the bigger perms that give you great goodies have more than 100 hp and are beat through long battles, which assassins are absolutely useless at. A pure pkill and vicar killer if I ever saw one, which I guess is good because that is what an assassin is supposed to do. Not a horrible class for a newbie, but definitly more suited to the mudder who has conquered another class and wants to get back all the people that pissed them off. Or for those with great pkill abilities this is your class, although los is not know for its pkilling features. One more thing Ive noticed too, this class is ten times better with the best gear and spells. But the catch is usually that you need to group to get these items and killing people decreases others want to group with you. Stat suggestion - My favorite is highest str possible, highest int possible and the rest in dex. Or swith your dex points with your int if you want more ac and hiding ability while cast a little weaker. This class is about the one hit kill though remember.

Thief - My absolute by a long shot favorite class to play. As far as just messing around and having fun on this mud nothing beats the thief. For some reason I just find it more fun sneaking around the entire mud peeking and pilfering mobs and perms. Dont get me wrong success is not guaranteed by a long shot, but its fun to try and less fun to run for your life afterward. If you havent tried a thief you should. As far as I know there are so many circumstances that need a thief to pick a lock, which also makes you in pretty high demand to befriend higher level chars. Hell theres so much stuff thats only there for thieves that you kind of have to raise one to "finish" this mud. Of course the con to this is that thieves are pretty useless in the ways of combat. They hit pretty bad, cast pretty bad and man their backstab is almost useless. It almost gets to the point sometimes that you wonder if you should be bsing at all, because of all the misses youll get, compounded with those delay times that can put a hurting on your hp if you dont run for your life. If you feel yourself getting a little bored on this mud, try a thief, guaranteed itll be a whole new experience. Not really for newbies, but not the worst class to start with either, easy to play, hard to level. Stat suggestion - High dex, possibly high str. Honestly just max out your dex best you can (hobbit) and make sure you have enough strenght as this class is mostly hack and slash. Rest is up to you and how you play.

Druid - All I will say is why is this class still in the mud and not been fixed. I would officially label this class useless. Ive only ever played one that was level 10 and I was getting smoked by mobs quite a few levels lower. Prepare is a good skill to help other chars, but man even that is garbage as far as I saw. Stat suggestion - A battle mage type class. Mostly a caster as far as I saw, but not even that good at that due to not having any helpful skills.

Man that was long and I hope someone got something out of it, remember though that this is all "my opinion", I dont profess (I think thats the word) to know everything about this mud, hell I probably dont know the half of it anymore. Also I hope I didnt overstep any boundaries as far as leaking too much info, as Ive always been a bit in the dark about the ascension from hack and slash to this mud being very rp oriented and figure everything out yourself kind of mentality. I would also love to get some critiques or others opinions as Im lacking in info about a lot of classes myself at the higher end. Hopefully this will even stir up this board as it should be more lively with such a great original mud in a world of stock mordors.
Eeli

Re: My opinions

Postby Qoith » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:07 am

Eeli wrote:Fighter - My opinion and many shared opinions by people that know much more than I, "stay away from the fighter". I dont know how much they have tweaked this class lately but man what a useless class back in the day. Basically a barb with a lot less hp and minor magic (almost useless magic). I also found they dont hit anywhere near what a barb does. Honestly I dont know what they do thats so great.

Hmmm - I am VIRTUALLY speechless ... :shock:

Firstly let me say, to my knowledge, I have never met you, Eeli and I have been playing LOS solidly for 10 months now...

Now I am certainly not going to say fighter is the BEST class to play but I find your assessment of fighter's abilities as extremely fallacious.

Firsty, I would not class the difference in HP between a fighter and barbarian as "a lot less" and I, for one, would chose the slightly less HP in return for the MP given.

Secondly , no way in the wide world would a skilled fighter consider their magical ability as "almost useless". True their use of magic for healing can not be trusted and they must rely on potions like barbarians. But there is sooo much more to magic than merely healing. Fighters can bind just as well as many other classes and if the foe is a offensive caster, then with the use of confuse and a fighters high HP, they can be dealt with easily. In battles where the foe is circleable, then with offensive casting and weapons play, the battle is over much faster than for a barbarian (even if they can hit a little harder).

Perhaps you should return to LOS (with an elven ranger) and let my fighter give you a run for your money :twisted:
Qoith

Postby Ruan » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:42 am

Actually the title of "favourite class" is the only appropriate one for such a thread as this -- we have gone to great lengths to ensure that there is no "best class". There are best classes for certain activities, but none is best overall.

Eeli's post contains a good deal of misinformation regarding player names, representations of what classes can do and have achieve and general statistical choices -- dexterity is probably the most important quality for an assassin -- for logical reasons (hide, sneak, deftly strike your target at the opportune moment, run away, vanishing swiftly into the shadows...). This information may perhaps be more useful when applied to muds based on unmodified mordor code rather than flint code. So people not playing Eeli's favourite class.. go ahead and prove him wrong...
Ruan

Postby Kampfer » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:57 am

Eeli wrote: Use this class, be an idiot, attack everyone and get away with it seems to be the strategy employed most

oh my god.. I have to correct you dear Eeli cause I feel attacked directly :(

first not alot of people dare to try a DK.. cause some "almost powerful" paladins are around and they won't let them any chance to be well grown and a chance in the fights. so "the most employed strategy" shouldn't be used.. cause nobody play DKs.. excepted me and Phil (but I still have to twist his arm :twisted: to make him play)

I can see you aren't used to that class but I'm probably the most experienced with this class in LOS.. even Kane haven't play that much. and from what I know of Kane he was far from an idiot and running all around to kill anything and get away if troubles comes around. neither do I. I can't remember the last time I've died due to the lack of skill of the DK or a lack of interest of it. One thing you are wrong too is from level 5 to 10 maybe you saw alot of low good stuff to kill but a low level dk is pretty hard to raise alone.. from level 10 to 15 its almost impossible due to the lack of "reasonable stuff" keeping killing the guards is boring after 2 weeks :) the wither DK have are probably the best weapon I saw on los.. better than the turn cause the wither is applicable to living things.. it let more option than the turn.. and at level 18 this wither is really powerful ( I wish it would be more powerful but Ghandi won't like it :twisted: )

the DK is probably the best class ever IF you have right stats and good RP ideas.. cause I will probably agree with you at some point. if the player have choosed bad stats for his DK .. its impossible to accomplish anything in los.. that too I know.. *daydreaming: oh dear Elnor*

I must encourage people to play more DKs.. they are the future (hahahahah) I have some believes.. I know Shihan and other DMs have already alot of the storyline in their head and probably on paper (or computer notepad cause paper is expensive) but I really believe if we are roleplaying hard enough with a good combinaision of players we can turn this storyline a bit from what they thaught in first time.. turning this land into a evil one could probably be something really interesting for new players.. a bunch of new players trying to eradicate (or purge) the evil from this lands of stone.. I can see what kind of pub it could be done on mudconnection.. the way to attract people.. "come and try to destroy the evil"

ok ok I should stop the daydreaming

btw Eeli.. you are from toronto.. and its the first time in how long you haven't come around.. cause now its the wrong timing to show yourself.. I was in Montréal and now i'm in UK :(
Kampfer

Postby jagg » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:37 pm

“Best class”…”Best stats”…I think it depends on what your focus is in playing the game. By the way I’m not making a judgement, though I do enjoy a preference here. And while people probably fall somewhere more towards the middle of the spectrum, there are two extremes: Those who enjoy success in the game (levelling characters and acquiring more power), and those who enjoy playing the game in itself. If you fall into the second camp, you can enjoy playing classes which perhaps don’t offer the individual invincibility others seem to offer. You can have “suboptimal” stats based on a character conception rather than those that offer a maximised destructive potential. Kampfer, you’ve gone through several incarnations of DKs to arrive at a formula you approve of, but there must be a whole spectrum of DKs that would be fun to play, ranging from a bloodthirsty idiot who lives for hand-to-hand slaughter, to a schemer and manipulator with high int and correspondingly good spellcasting abilities. Jagg is probably not the “best” fighter he could be, in terms of stats, but they stemmed from an idea about the character (basically a barbarian who, to his enormous surprise, can cast magic too).

Hey, I’d be lying if I said that, given the chance, I wouldn’t “tweak” Jagg a little bit (see thread on changing stats from a while ago), but there’s a lot of entertainment in a character with an unusual, non-stereotypical stat profile. When you mix in the contribution of race as well, it’s good to have diversity - it would be boring if everyone was playing half-giant barbarians, elven mages and hobbit thieves with cloned stats.
jagg

Postby Eeli » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:53 pm

Now this is what Im talking about, now the forum is alive. Hahaha give an opinion that not many like and they come out of the woodwork. Like I said, in my defence it seems, is that Ive played this mud into the ground but havent been around in a long while, and honestly I was always mystified by the lack of knowledge for this modified mordor code. Obviously this is all my opinion, but man Im not a newbie like it seems to be portrayed, Ive used a Lvl 20 barb (Troll), lvl 18 ranger (Thunderstorm), lvl 18 paladin(Eeli), lvl 16 assassin (Wretched), lvl 11 or 12 thief (Sol), lvl 10 DK, lvl 14 Mage (Lamous) and all the other classes a bit at lvls under 10. Obviously not enough exp to make me know it all, thats why I appreciate all your guys opinions. I personnally like to mud for the Leveling and adventuring for new stuff with rp a secondary for me. Also Im more into soloing so I like to know what some classes are good at and such. So keep those opinions coming, get this board alive again.
Eeli

Postby Scorpion » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:25 pm

try to solo Galvaug.

It's possible i guess, but very very hard. Need tons of potions. oh well, if you defeat that guy, you get like 7-10k xp.. i think
Scorpion

Postby Ruan » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:15 pm

Much has changed since the very old days... The game has been adjusted in many ways and is significantly more difficult :) *throws down the gauntlet*.
Ruan

Postby Illyatra » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:02 pm

I dont think I have a favorite class. However my favorite race is dark elves :twisted: . As for classes i think it depends on how you rp. if you try to rp any class can be fun. for right now im haveing fun playing a cleric i hardley get my chars up past lvl 10 but i still have fun rping and trying to get to higher lvls i think its all amatter of how you want to play, i personally dont really worry about stats that help me lvl and fight hard i choose stats based on how i want to play a char. when i did my cleric i went for piety and int, when i did my mage i went just int and just randomly det the rest. well thats how i like to do it. it works alright for me :D
Illyatra

Return to OOC Chat