Names

Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

Names

Postby Scorpion » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:17 pm

I was just wandering. Where do you people get your name for your chars? Some site? Some generator? Or just from your own head?

Shall I then?

First scorpion. This nick I used to use quite a lot, untill i had meglaz. Scorpion is my horoscope and it's a cool animal.

Meglaz is made up by myself.. still proud of it. When i first searched it on google i only found 1 link from far far away country site. But i like the name.

Anubis.. well, egyptian stuff. Derlith --> from other mud called Realms of hell. Astoria: some generator. got Laewyn from some site.

I'm just wandering where you people get them and how many of you make their own names.
Scorpion

Postby Valiant » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:52 pm

Valiant, Tipsy, Nightshade - made up myself. (though one might argue there was once a cartoon knight named Valiant, but still...)

Getafix - a certain cartoon :roll:
Orrin - Heroes of Might and Magic III manual (now that's a nice list of interesting names in there ;))

And that other character... well, made that one up myself too :)
Valiant

Postby Kampfer » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:31 pm

hehe.. simple.. German Dictionnary is my best friend for names :D

Verraten means Betray
Kämpfer means Fighter
Lied means Song
Dunkel means Dark
and Schutzengel means Guardian Angel

I have no merit for the name but i'm tryin gto catch up with the RP ;)

I choose a name with a nice spelling.. with a meaning of the RP I want to do with it and I'm a big fan of everything with a V and K in it .. probably because they worth alot at scrabble and I use to play to that :)
Kampfer

Postby Keezheekoni » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:00 pm

Ohh yes I searched many places for names.
Keezheekoni was from some native american language meaning burning fire, or something to that nature. Lamin was the name of Kunta Kinte's brother in Roots, I really liked the sound of it and how it appeared on the screen. Gabool is from a Redwall book which I loved to read when I was younger. The character was Gabool the Wild and that sounded really neat. Others I made such as Shi'kai, and Aleal. I have to have a good name if I am going to enjoy playing the char :D .
--Phill
Keezheekoni

Postby erynn » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:09 pm

My most carefully thought-out character name, Corien, came from a combination of the Gaelic words coire/coir (kind) and orain/oran (song).

But most of my names... the character comes first and it can take me a while to find a name they will accept even if I look for names that have the right meaning. Perival was the name that came into my head for my paladin and it fits him perfectly although I wasn't so keen on it initially.

Erynn is a variation on Erin which means Ireland (I prefer the spelling). I liked the Celtic/Gaelic association and the idea that the name belongs to a land as she does. Mostly the name just felt right for that personality.

I discovered that Kael can mean "mighty warrior" but I didn't intend that , it was just the name that came to mind for him and the only one he would accept. And you just don't argue with Kael. He likes how it sounds like "kill" but slower.
erynn

Postby Illyatra » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:24 pm

wow im impressed that so many of you put so much into your character names. I have never done any of that, usualy i think of the race and class and then whatever pops into my head is what it gets named or some form of it. :)
Illyatra

Postby Illyatra » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:39 pm

ohh and since im on the ooc chat and i dont want to start a whole new string, defeats instead of deaths BRILLIANT!!!! :D
Illyatra

Postby Kampfer » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:35 pm

Illyatra wrote:wow im impressed that so many of you put so much into your character names

well thats the essence of RP :)
we put alot in our character to make it real and more easy to play some feelings which belong to the character
Kampfer

Postby Kampfer » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:37 pm

Illyatra wrote:ohh and since im on the ooc chat and i dont want to start a whole new string, defeats instead of deaths BRILLIANT!!!! :D

I agree and even more brillant when you see "got teleported to a safe place to get heal" so it makes more real the fact a player came back to life
Kampfer

Postby Ghandi » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:00 pm

Ghandi is the main nick i use everywhere, so for me it was logical i used that one for my first char. Him being a pally is just that Valiant brought me to this game and i asked him what char i should make, but now i think about it, it kinda suits him :)

Sevratio is a name i made up myself. I wanted to create a mage and needed a name that suits that class perfectly (in my eyes of course :wink: ). So i thought of a name with a lot of different clinkers in it, which i think suits mages.

For my barbarian i need to think of a name that has some guts in it. I find vikings the typical types that a barbarian could be. So i tried to create some sort of norwish name. First name was Thor, the viking god, but i wanted to be more original. So Gontar came out. If you pronounce like a scadinavian would say, it sounds pretty cool :lol:

My assassin needed some evil in its name. Not that it should scare you, but it has to be dirty. In movies i found out that chars with the name Finch were really annoying...like a corrupted bank account that makes money disappear from other ppls accounts. So not directy evil, but more behind your back evil...very assassin.

Druid name was found on a site with many many druid names. Akazanar was the nicest there.

Punisher is from a comic. Though the char in that comic is not really evil, his way of using violence is definately evil :twisted:

My ranger has a name that was chosen pure on future roleplay. His was adopted and his adoptive parents did not knew his name and he would not reveal it due to safety reasons (read the background story on Erynn's site if you're interested :wink: ) Once he found his mother, he shall reveal his name (hope the Dm will allow him to change his name then)

Safana was found on a fantasy site about a typical race with all their proffessions.

Well, this is how i've chosen my char's names.
Ghandi

Postby jagg » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:17 pm

I chose the name 'Jagg' based on the characteristics of the half-giant race. Slow-witted so suiting a short name, and the simple, gutteral sounds seem apt for a big brute to make.

(It does also make things like the commands dealing with groups easier! :-) *scowl Keezheekoni*)
jagg

Return to OOC Chat