Concerning the Dark-elf RP

Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

Would this work as a suitable RP scenario for the dark-elves?

Yes
50%
No
No votes
Perhaps with some modifications (Explain)
50%

Total votes : 4

Concerning the Dark-elf RP

Postby Broken » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:32 pm

(copied from the help darkelf file)
The Dark-Elves formed as a seperate race after one of the great racial
purgings, when several thousand Elves were thrown out of communities for
the most minor of transgressions. These refugees needed a new home, so
they turned their backs on the light, and descended into the earth.

My personal interpretation of this tells me that not all dark-elves were necessarily evil, simply outcast by their community for, possibly, petty crimes such as defiance of authority, non-conformity, an accident which was unforgiven, or perhaps even simply for being close kin to one of the truly dark-elves (If I'm not mistaked Illyatra was red aligned, Janus/Aleric were both grey, but family, which explains their own neutrality). These exiled drow would not seek shelter underground, instead travelled into civilization to live within the multi-racial communites. They of course would loath the elves who bannished them, but should have no conflict with any other races.
Broken

Postby Scorpion » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:58 pm

(yes.. a post of me.. but NOT in suggestion part...)

As dark elf you hate.. you really HATE elves.

So you don't have to be evil. you can be neutral or even blue, depending on your RP.
But i think your clan needs a goal.

Explain!

--> When you started your clan.. if i remember correctly.. it was just to make a dark elven clan. The only prob you had was that you said to Kampfer that you would join his clan, but you didn't and started your own clan. Kampfer hated this, so a war started between kampfer and your clan. Anyway, having kampfer as an enemy shouldn't be that much of a problem. If you have 2 lvl 12 mages, you can easily kill him if 1 binds and the other confuses. But i don't see and know what your real goal of your clan. Do you want to kill all elves in the lands (see qoith) or do you want to get the dark-elves stronger and reset your reputation?

It's a good idea.. a dark-elven clan. But you need to think of a goal (if you don't allready have one). I really like the interaction with the dark-elven clan, when there were still 4 members. But i think, if you write a nice story about what the goal of your clan is... and don't say kill kampfer, cause that isn't the original reason why you created your nice clan... people understand you better.

As i said earlier... I really liked your clan, especially the idea of a race-based clan. People can have very different RP, being good or evil.

This is just a little suggestion for you clan, don't take it wrong. I don't know what your clan stands for.. I also don't know it about some other clans. I something even don't know why people get proficient for... or skillfull. I miss things...

(lot's of dots)

But keep on going.. get your mage up some lvls.. get high lvl spells. you know where to get immolation, so train, make a party and get that spell, but prepare well.

-Naud
Scorpion

Postby Illyatra » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:04 pm

there was an origanal reason for the clan and wether it was understood by all I understood it as .... the main characters had fled from thier original home in the caverns to dapetan in search of powerful magic to destroy the creatures that had chased them from thier homes and killed so many of thier kin.. then on one fine day a small dark elf was spit on by a large dark knight.. thats where the whole not aligning with Kampfer came in and the idea was to learn from him then turn on him this was all posted on Erynns website.. but things didnt turn out to well especially with me being as new to the game as i was.. I also think that a race based clan is a good idea especialy darkelves unfortunatly everytime i make one i think of the time i spent on Illyatra and start to weep inside for suiciding her and get all depressed and i cant do it :cry:

scorpion you asked
do you want to get the dark-elves stronger and reset your reputation?
I never did i love the idea of dark elves being evil and untrustworthy which also bit me in the ass
Illyatra

Postby Kaedan » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:26 pm

First off I'd just like to help clarify the details of racial alignment, especially concerning the Dark Elves.

We are aware that all the help files, including the racial ones, need something of an overhaul. The racial helpfiles will hopefully be undergoing their revamp shortly, as we'll be adding in alignment limits for each race (how good or evil a character of a particular race can be by default).

The Dark Elves, as a race, are predominantly "evil" by nature. This does not mean that *all* dark-elves are evil, just that the norm is to be evil. If you stick to the current helpfile, their people was initially made up of the cast-out of the elves, those who dabbled in the darkest of arts etc etc. When they founded their new home their society was founded on anger, hate, survival of the most ruthless etc etc. Although there were some less evil and ruthless ones at first, after countless generations of tyrany, the dark elves have little in the way of compassion and kindness left in them, their society makes harbouring such feelings very difficult. Occasionally a dark-elf may be found who is more neutral, but the less evil they are, the more likely they are to be at odds with the society that spawned them. Neutral Drow are rare, good Drow are almost non-existant and always outcast/run-aways.

You should bear this in mind when considering the RP of your darkelves.

These points will be made clearer soon, when the helpfiles have been redone and the racial alignment limits are in place.

Ok, secondly... we're fine with the idea of a dark-elven clan, we just ask you consider *why* the group are banding together. If they are a collective of more neutral character, less driven by the ruthless thirst for power then why are they only dark-elves permitted in the clan. etc etc.

Lastly, Scorpion. It's really quite simple why people get proficient or skilful... they roleplay a lot, well and consistantly...

The "proficient" title is the first good title one the RP ladder, a reward for good roleplay. The "skilful" title is the next up the ladder, and indicates a player who has roleplayed exceptionally. There are another couple of titles above this, and in time we expect people will acheive them... Just as people can climb up the ladder by roleplaying well and consistantly, players can slip down the ladder for acting in ways that seem contrary to how they've reacted in the past, and they can certainly fall down the ladder for "not roleplaying just now" in order to do things.. As far as we're concerned there's no such thing as an OOC action, all actions are in character, whether you want them to be or not.

We've only had 2 players actually acheive the ranks of "skilful" so far: Erynn, who's tales of the lands, protectiveness, truth seeking and attitude really brought the character (and the MUD) to life, and Jagg, who character has often not figured things out or understood things, even though the player has managed it fine, and who I don't believe I've ever heard talking in anything other than his conan/barbaric/undereducated-accent who in general comes across believably as a big, dumb, half-giant fighter... In both cases they've been consistant with their characters, almost never at a loss for their in-character responses and shown tenacity and versatility when reacting to new situations. They've both had a positive effect on LoS, creating many opportunities for other people to roleplay in turn. In a nutshell, they earned the titles. :)
Kaedan

Postby Ghandi » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:28 pm

Nice explanation Kaedan.

Only i think one problem has occured with Jagg's RP. Now almost every half giant thinks they need to talk like the way Jagg talks. Where Jagg do this in a way where you can, after reading the sentence 3 times, understand it, some do this in a way a non english speaking person can hardly understand it. I speak on purpose normal with my half giant char as i think that most half giants can speak normally. Also, by imitating Jagg i believe you're stealing his RP a bit or lifting on its success. Soon we have 10 Jaggs running through the lands :P

BTW...still busy to bring Ghandi back...still need to find his motivation and a right RP cause to come back. Making up a story to do so, but still need inspiration. Suggestions are always welcome :wink:
Ghandi

Postby Valiant » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:04 pm

Kaedan wrote:... and Jagg, who character has often not figured things out or understood things, even though the player has managed it fine, and who I don't believe I've ever heard talking in anything other than his conan/barbaric/undereducated-accent who in general comes across believably as a big, dumb, half-giant fighter...

Ah yes... I do regret that I never kept the talking style going with Tipsy like the way he used to in his early days. It was just getting too difficult for me eventually to keep it up. A pity really, as it does more define who he is (->drunk).

But now, I don't think there's a way back... not an easy one anyway.

and definately not if I'm not there at all... :roll:
Valiant

Postby Kampfer » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:06 pm

Kaedan wrote: As far as we're concerned there's no such thing as an OOC action, all actions are in character, whether you want them to be or not.

Xipher, remember our last ooc talk :)
Kampfer

Postby Qoith » Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:19 am

Ghandi wrote:some do this in a way a non english speaking person can hardly understand it. I speak on purpose normal with my half giant char as i think that most half giants can speak normally. Also, by imitating Jagg i believe you're stealing his RP a bit or lifting on its success. Soon we have 10 Jaggs running through the lands

This is not the first time I have heard this complaint so Trigoron has decided to take lessons ... hopefully over the next few weeks, you will see an improvement in his speech patterns ... please allow him a bit of time before he can speak "normally". After all, he is half-giant and is a "bit slow" on the intelligence side ... but he is really determined to "improve" himself :D
Qoith

Postby stoner » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:21 am

Qoith wrote:
Ghandi wrote:some do this in a way a non english speaking person can hardly understand it. I speak on purpose normal with my half giant char as i think that most half giants can speak normally. Also, by imitating Jagg i believe you're stealing his RP a bit or lifting on its success. Soon we have 10 Jaggs running through the lands

This is not the first time I have heard this complaint so Trigoron has decided to take lessons ... hopefully over the next few weeks, you will see an improvement in his speech patterns ... please allow him a bit of time before he can speak "normally". After all, he is half-giant and is a "bit slow" on the intelligence side ... but he is really determined to "improve" himself :D

now renak is teaching him to count above 3
stoner

Return to OOC Chat