maps

Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

maps

Postby ariel » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:58 am

i was wondering.
how do you all make maps?
a program, pen and paper or do you remember everything?
i tried the mapper in zmud but it gets confused easily.
normal pen and paper seems like a hell of a job.

let me know

greetings

ariel
ariel

Postby Kampfer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:53 pm

hehe.. Zmapper is something to learn.. you have to understand where you are going first to know what kind of exit you should put and how to edit the exit.

I started to map LoS since my first day (5-6yrs ago) with zmud mapper and gradually I covered "almost" all the land (well known by me.. which still mean alot) now I know my way eye blinded.. I use to know how many north .. how many south.. etc.. I have to do to reach a destination.. especially the forest.. I hate casting light on myself at night so its useful to know my way around :)

never tried pen and paper.. too messy.. you can't draw a up/down location clearly

I wish I could say.. don't move.. give me your email and I will send you my zmud map, but there is too much secret in there I shouldn't let know to some people :)
Kampfer

Postby Ghandi » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:59 pm

Actually, i use pen and paper, cuz i really dont know how to use zmapper. Tried it once, but the map it created wasnt something i couldnt use. Filled with mistakes. So for most important areas, like werewolves and astral, it is all written down manually.
Last edited by Ghandi on Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghandi

Postby Valiant » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:18 pm

Most in my head, altough I have drawn a map of the forest, and part of the astral realm (didn't really help me find avalanche so far... perhaps if I tried a bit more :roll:). I printed a grid on a piece of paper and used that to draw the map on :)
Valiant

Postby Kampfer » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:04 pm

hey Ghandi.. can you scan your map.. I want to see how you made that "understandable"
Kampfer

Postby Qoith » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:38 pm

Pen and paper all the way with me ... usually several versions as I refine my map of each area. My client doesnt have a mapping facility but I don't regret that. I like being about to make all sorts of annotations on my maps and I can draw them in small enough chunks to fit on one page then file them in a folder ... it's getting quite thick now :)
Qoith

Postby Erill » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:31 pm

I use memory and paper. Most places i'll remember easy enough, but other places that are more...confusing, i'll use pen and paper. Nothing beats mapping using pen and paper.
Erill

Postby Ghandi » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:16 pm

Dont have a scanner :roll:

But not that hard, just use paper with squares on it. If it has different layers then draw each layer seperately.
Ghandi

Return to OOC Chat