Tourney

Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

Tourney

Postby Scorpion » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:53 pm

Hoped that the DM's would open a discussion, but i just can't wait for another tourney. So, can you guys up there say something about what the situation about it is now?
Scorpion

Postby Kaedan » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:10 pm

There'll be a tourney in march, probably the first saturday.

It'll be the same format as the last one, 15 minute mayhem.

Sorry there wasn't one in february, I was curious as to the reason why the January one was such a flop.

--Kaedan
Kaedan

Postby Valiant » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:13 pm

Kaedan wrote:I was curious as to the reason why the January one was such a flop.

Reasons for me not being there:

I don't play on sundays.

And the wednesday it was supposed to be before that I somehow managed to forget. I sure hope that's not gonna happen again :roll:
Valiant

Postby Kampfer » Sun Feb 22, 2004 7:34 am

for my part I was more like non-enough-high-level... now.. I AM :twisted:
Kampfer

Postby jagg » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:11 am

The thing is, I think people are less likely to participate if they don't think they're in with a shout of winning. Myself, I think that the current format favours spellcasters (because they can deal massive damage fast, suffer the small penalty of a death and return recharged to do it all again). I was in two minds about participating in the January one before it was cancelled. Having said that though, I think the tourney deserves support - it's an interesting part of the game, it is being staged for our entertainment after all and it's a shame if the DMs efforts are not being appreciated. Of course better armour and weapons would give me a better chance, and these things are (at least theoretically) within my power to obtain :lol:

I don't really have a suggestion for a better format - I mean the previous 'last man standing' seemed to favour barbarians, to judge from the list of winners. Whatever you choose, it will be to someone's advantage, and disadvantage to others. I think the format where you get double points if your name begins with J would be a significant step towards something fair though... :wink:
jagg

Postby Ghandi » Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:33 am

Personally, i think this 15 minute free for all tourney is better than the old "who got the most golden potions" version. I'm happy i won that version once, since being a paladin, i'm obliged to win such an event. Also, this 15 minute version is better, since a person cannot be a victim of grouping anymore. Of course you can face 2 or more opponents, but if you die, you can return into arena again and the groupers will have penalty points. But there lays a question: when are two players seemed to be grouped? Of course one can arrive at a scene where a battle is going on and you decide to join. You attack one and therefore actually helping the other. Is that grouping or is it just a tactic? But here's another problem that rises: stealing pkills. Especially spellcasters are succesful pkill stealers as they can do a lot of damage with a single spell. When im fighting Jagg for example, it would be a really hard battle. This battle is almost over since one of us is about to lose. But then a spellcaster (mage, alchemist and even a dark-knight) comes and fires an immolate (they all have that spell and are able to cast it) on one of us. So, the original player, either Jagg or Ghandi, gets nothing for all his effort and is left behind seriously injured, ready to be immolated as well by the spellcaster. :x Cheap kills, though worth a lot of points since both Jagg and Ghandi are top rank players, both developed for battles that take a lot of time and not to make a lot of damage in a really short time.

But as Jagg said: spellcasters can be around lvl 12/14 can return fully charged quick after being killed. They lose less points for each death, but can earn a lot of points by stealing pkills.

But still i think this 15 minute version is better than the old version, though this version survivors are in disadvantage. Maybe a 15 minute lasting protect-magic spell would make a differance :lol:

But i really appreciate the efforts the DM make to entertain the players and im really happy with my mithril face guard. It shines nicely in the sun, though lately the wetter is rainy. Not wearing a lot of steel, but i have to keep moving before it gets rusty.
Ghandi

Postby Kaedan » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:14 pm

I understand your concerns about how this format seems to 'favour' the fast killers and casters. Tell me this though. What can these speed-killers do if you confuse them or bash them? What about if you quaff a resist potion when they arrive, they can't quaff a 'resist-ghandis-hammer' can they?

If a dangerous target enters the room when you're fighting and you're worried that they'll finish off both you and your target, finish them before they can finish you! It might be that the person you're dueling at the time thinks the same way and smashes the incoming mage, or it may be that they take advantage of your distraction and clobber you over the head till you're left senseless. That's the risk, and the fun of the tourney.

Some classes are much better suited to pkill than others, others are better at wading through hordes upon hordes of monsters. There are tricks and techniques that you can use to nullify a persons advantage though, but it's up to you to figure out what works and what doesn't.

--Kaedan
Kaedan

Postby Scorpion » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:40 pm

The only thing i don't like are those player, who only play when there's a tourney. I mean, have you seen guys like Duel or Naomi lately? I don't think so. And at the tourney, sure, they will be there.

just so annoying for only playing at tourneys.

Ps.
Kylan and Erynn, please don't join with your earthquake. We're so dead then :)
Scorpion

Postby Ghandi » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:52 pm

Kaedan wrote: What about if you quaff a resist potion when they arrive, they can't quaff a 'resist-ghandis-hammer' can they?

Resist-magic will be almost impossible to obtain, so i need to obtain those protect-fire versions. Also very hard and rare, but can be done if im lucky. Relying on my protect-fire spell is not something i do. Will have to buy another superior dwarven hammer again. But they could improve it as they seems to last for only a very short time. In december tourney i bought one only for tourney and it shattered already while the tourney was still going on. Thought dwaven made stuff was made of high quality :?: As well, critting has those disadvantages, i will have to live with it. Unfortunately, this tourney is not like a bugbear ambush or a goblin attack where a good combination of avalanching and hitting hard with my hammer will do the trick.
Ghandi

Postby erynn » Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:50 pm

It's not earthquake you'd be wanting to worry about. It's the fact that I know some enchanting music that would make it so you couldn't bear to harm me. And with Kylan's -12AC and some nice protect-realm spells you'd have a hard job doing much to him however badly you wanted to :wink:
It won't happen, tourneys are not for us. We'll leave it to the various knights, warriors and mad alchemists...
erynn

Postby jagg » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:18 pm

Ghandi wrote:But there lays a question: when are two players seemed to be grouped?

I can understand two people agreeing not to fight each other, for whatever reason. Might even suggest it myself, lower down this post... However, if they're both waiting in the same room, and combine to kill someone else who arrives, then they are deriving a clear benefit from their actions: that's grouping and they must accept a penalty for it.

Ghandi wrote:Of course one can arrive at a scene where a battle is going on and you decide to join. You attack one and therefore actually helping the other. Is that grouping or is it just a tactic?

It would depend on whether or not it was pre-arranged. If two characters have agreed not to fight, and wait in adjacent rooms, and look in on the other one every few seconds (to avoid the group penalty mentioned above)... it's the intent that matters. Hard to police though.

Ghandi wrote:But here's another problem that rises: stealing pkills. Especially spellcasters are succesful pkill stealers as they can do a lot of damage with a single spell. When im fighting Jagg for example, it would be a really hard battle. This battle is almost over since one of us is about to lose. But then a spellcaster (mage, alchemist and even a dark-knight) comes and fires an immolate (they all have that spell and are able to cast it) on one of us. So, the original player, either Jagg or Ghandi, gets nothing for all his effort and is left behind seriously injured, ready to be immolated as well by the spellcaster.

I know what you mean, and it's true that Jagg and Ghandi would suffer in this scenario. But, I would have to say that this is good tactics by the spellcaster. We have to be smart enough to overcome their sneaky ways... I mean thinking about it, Jagg and Ghandi would be foolish to fight each other, because even if they finished it uninterrupted, it would be a Pyrhhic victory, as the winner will be badly injured and exhausted for their next battle. Why don't we agree to leave each other alone where possible? Having learned from the last tourney (and gotten my ass kicked :lol: ) I think the puny casters can represent a far better source of points. One confuse or bash, maybe they get one spell off, but they'll die in a few decent blows. Why fight the hard fights, when mages are such soft targets? Imagine a terrier in a barrel of rats... :twisted: I would even be prepared to break off a fight as suggested above, to remove an interrupting spellcaster. What say you, Ghandi?

Ghandi wrote:But still i think this 15 minute version is better than the old version, though this version survivors are in disadvantage.

Any rules will favour someone. We have to avoid falling into the trap of arguing that 'these rules are better/worse* (delete as applicable)' when what we mean is 'these rules mean I'm more/less* likely to win (delete as applicable)'. These are the selected rules, for good or ill, come and get stuck in!
jagg

Postby Ghandi » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:37 pm

jagg wrote: I would even be prepared to break off a fight as suggested above, to remove an interrupting spellcaster. What say you, Ghandi?

Agreed, but aren't we grouping then :lol:
Ghandi

Postby Happy » Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:44 pm

...... m(_ _)m

yo jean-pierre! i am banned from irc, cough cough

unban me! (^_^)_b

so uh, i have to play for a certain amount of time per week to play in the tourneys? what's the point when I get on, there is nobody to talk to and can't further xping...and I wasn't even at the January tourney, which I heard was cancelled??

but anyways, oh god ffxi is too addicting...

and for tourney, it's best to do a 1v1 format...based on seeding for randomly drawing...
Happy

Postby Kampfer » Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:21 pm

Doh.. I wonder what is banned.. the channel or you from irc server? oh well I will check :)

and I second that motion of "1vs1 from random draw" :)
Kampfer

Postby jagg » Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:58 pm

Ghandi wrote:
jagg wrote: I would even be prepared to break off a fight as suggested above, to remove an interrupting spellcaster. What say you, Ghandi?

Agreed, but aren't we grouping then :lol:

:lol: No, of course not! We are merely taking prudent steps to avoid to avoid those bottom-feeding, kill-stealing mages from walking away with the title. I'll kill you later :evil:

I've wondered about the 1:1 format for a tourney. Would be good, but would be slow to run and need a lot of work to organise, to keep track of the draw and everything. I would be happy to give it a go, if this format was proposed.
jagg

Next

Return to OOC Chat