Los......

Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

Postby Scorpion » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:37 pm

dude... i can't log in. not even with telnet.
Scorpion

Postby Valiant » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:28 pm

It takes quite a while for a character to be dusted - months maybe even. Well... at least one month, or I would've been down a couple by now :roll:
Afaik, it's level dependant, so high level characters won't get deleted quite so soon.
Valiant

Postby Scorpion » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:44 pm

it's like a 30 to 90 days... depending on lvl and rp if i'm right
Scorpion

Postby Kampfer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:35 pm

Scorpion, why are you so scared.. it been 2 weeks MAX you haven't play... and a lvl 1 character takes that 15-30days to be dusted I think.. so lvl 10+ will probably take 2 months.. and if you are really scared cause "depend on the RP" then you should RP more :P cause I want a Arnaud in top shape for RP when I'm around ;)
Kampfer

Postby Kaedan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:49 am

Ok, we've been hearing a bit about these connection problems for a while now, so I thought I'd say a couple of words about it.

Firstly, we've not changed the i/o code in quite a long while, so the cause it not LoS itself, as far as we know.

Secondly, we *have* asked our providers whether they've been monkeying about with their systems, and reported the apparent problem to them.

Thirdly, when you're having problems connecting to LoS, are you trying to connect using the IP address or its name? To clarify, the addresses you're trying *should* be:
By name: mud.landsofstone.org
By IP: 217.10.142.10

When you are having problems, is it saying that it's not found, or that it's a connection time-out?

We (the DMs) have personally experienced very few connection problems to LoS. We have had a couple of mornings in the last month where connectivity to the server vanished for a few hours, but nothing on the scale which has been suggested, and certainly not denying us access for entire weekends. On the 2 or 3 occassions that I've personally been unable to connect, nobody has been able to connect, so this problem where it's allowing some to connect but not others is most interesting.

Anyway, just thought I better let you know that we are looking into it, but ask that if you have any additional details of the problem that you can give us, they may be of use.

We're sorry if you are one of those experiencing problems, but ask that you try to be patient whilst we try to find a solution.
Kaedan

Postby Qoith_2 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:25 pm

I have finally ventured back into LOS to play after a self-imposed exile while my anger subsided. During the exile, I checked often to see the status of my connection, and have had no difficulties since last Friday afternoon (my time) to get to the login screen. I find it ironic that once LoS became accessible to me, that those of you closer lost your ability to connect.

In answer to Kaedan, I ran frequent tracert to los.creative-realms.net and the connection always timed out upon reaching a router at UK Solutions. I even tried contacting them in frustration and they hinted it was possibily a DoS attack but refused to say much more as I was not the account holder. The first time I ran a tracert was way back in October when i first encounter the problem and reported at that time on the BB that is was timing out. I have just run checked los.creative-realms.net and the 2 addressed suggested in your posting ... all take exactly the same route and I am able to connect sucessfully at the moment.

I just want to add at this point a big thank you to Jagg. Your reply made me feel sadder and happier all at the same time. I have tried quite a few other muds over the last few weeks. They all have lacked something LoS has .. it is slightly hard to quantify ... but basically it feels like "home". I have missed it ... and it feels good to be back. I just hope my mud "family" can come home soon too.
Qoith_2

Postby magai » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:41 pm

Mud connector is not the answer, as with my typing skills I'm just so much dead splatter. I tried that though and didn’t connect through that either.

Then I could connect and checked in (on and off) did not see any one whenever I logged and then left. I'm not much of a soloer on an RP mud.

I did log and group with a friend..... they were ok but I had spotty lag (1-2 secs) almost fatal one time.

As a technical note, if its different people at differing times that cannot connect, it’s routing and your ISP. Kick their damn asses.

I know I have seen 2 other players from LoS on the mud I have been playing (same names - different world).

While I like LoS, if the comms are not consistent the Lands will become "just another mud". That would be a shame as I have come to like it.

Just another day, and another world.

Lastly, if you want to chat, or group, i'm beating up coral raptors on Red Sands. Its new and unfinished but has BUCKETS of potential. The staff are GMs not DMs, so they talk to you and listen to your suggestions and discuss things. Its worth a look for sure. (*cough* those who havent yet) :p
magai

Postby Kampfer » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:18 pm

hehe I tried that mud.. and they had a couple of good idea which should be *cough* stolen *cough* :twisted: for LoS but seriously.. LoS will be my Crypt (my home) until it dies by itself (which I hope it won't :)) (yep.. you are stuck with me DMs for a while :twisted: )
Kampfer

Postby Kaedan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:26 pm

Just so that you know, traceroute and ping should never actually succeed to get through to the server, they'll likely both fail to get any further than one of the routers on the uksolutions network. This is down to how they've programmed their firewalls to reject ping traffic to help prevent DoS attacks.

So if you're ever trying to check if LoS is there by using ping or traceroute, I don't think either of them have ever "worked" since we switched to this provider a year or two ago. :P

Plugging other MUDs on this BB, Magai.. tsk tsk!
Kaedan

Postby Ghandi » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:51 pm

Usually when Scorpion is able to connect lately, i was unable to connect. Now he's unable to connect and i can. Pretty weird. We do live in the same town, but he uses ADSL and im using cable.

Currently my wireless netwerk has fallen down, so im unable to go on the internet at home :cry:
Ghandi

Postby jagg » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:39 pm

Is this possibly a blanket block on my ISP (NTL)? I've heard of that happening when a particular ISP has been the source of frequent or extensive DOS attacks. Any way I can find out if this is the case?
jagg

Postby Kaedan » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:53 pm

It could be a blanket block, yes.

Anyway, we're asking our providers again for more details as to what could be happening. Hopefully it won't take too long for them to give us more details.

There will be an outage on the 14th Dec, as the provider do maintenance on their server.

In case things do not improve, we are discussing moving the server again.
Kaedan

Previous

Return to OOC Chat