Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

Postby Scorpion » Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:54 am

perhaps it's just me, but i wanted to put it here, just to notice you guys (and qoith ;) ).

For quite some time i don't feel like playing LoS at all. Why? Just because after playing it for many years i don't see any new goal to keep on playing.

I'm really thinking of leaving LoS.. and i have a couple of reasons.

Is it the lack of new quests?
I found many stuff, the good way or sometimes the 'bad' way. These days i can't find any clues or hints about new stuff, except for the storyline. And i don't feel like searching the hole land again and again after a new update.

Is it the death penalty/lvl limit?
Donno... but these days it seems like playing for nothing, without getting stronger and just gaining xp untill you die and you lost the work of a couple of months.

Is it the lack of players playing the game?
Maybe.. not sure. Less players means less fun. LoS needs more players. Erynn and Elnor (these days knows as Kampfer) were the best players when i entered (besides the reckless Duel ;) ), but now i'm one of them, which we think of power/strenght.

is it the lack of RP (of me)?
I'm not the best in RP. perhaps that's why i never really earned the title proficient. But then, i think because i'm not english and my english isn't the best i can't figure out certain quests AND have good RP. I miss the lack of imagination to have a RP at all time... perhaps i miss the lack of a guide to learn me... donno.

Offcourse there are some things i'm good at... making you guys (DM) upsett. and killing a lot of perms alone.. even some who aren't supposed to be killed at all (galvaug).

I really miss the fun of playing these days/months. perhaps adding secondairy professions besides the normal classes would make it interesting. But i've been hearing these 'rumours' about new places.. new skills... new spells.. Some of those area's i know they are finished, but it just takes too long to keep us die-hard players focussed on playing los.

I don't think i will return to LoS with full 'enthousiastic' (happy feeeling.. or some other words.. donno the english word for it) when i started to play. We, long time players, just need new and more challenges. It's boring to play these days. Sorry JP, but this is just how i feel about LoS... (not really talking about real life).

Besides the above, i want to thank the builders for creating the game. I know you put a lot of time in it and i appreciated it, don't get me wrong. It's fun to play when you have many quests to complete. Perhaps i should follow your advice and leave you, like you told me several times. RPing just isn't the only thing that should keep us playing the game.

Regards,

-Naud
Scorpion

Postby Kampfer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:11 pm

Thats the way you feel and nobody can change that cause its inside you.

Since I lost my job here (a month ago) I've been thinking alot about everything.. how should be my life in the future.. when I'll be back (which is TOMORROW.. 27th) and also alot of thing (ok here that seems to be a confession but its just the way I feel) I definetly use los as a refuge to RL and sadly like you said updates aren't as often as 2003 (which I concider the peak of players, RP, discoveries) my life is not the most happy life someone can have so I need a refuge to escape from craziness (and yes, I can be worst :lol: )

but still.. even with only each 6months update, I think this place is still a nice place to relax, getting distracted from this horrible planet which is DOOMED.

My english does not allow me to build in LoS-way so I continue to bring what I can to this place... as a refuge, it most be comfortableas much as possible.. so I try to model this place as hard as I can with my RP, ideas and suggestions.

Arnaud, I must admit when I read what you said it was like a knife in my heart, I cannot say you are wrong cause it is facts.

lvl limits is a pain.. i can agree but there is some reason to that.. cause I remember in the beginning.. lvl 25 players were always fighting over and over the same limited slow traffic perms.. and they had less areas than now.

on the other hand I'm sure some lvl 25 in los couldn't be bad.. alot of perms will still be a challenge (thinking here to the master archeus, or Tario) more updates are done.. more dangerous perms are now, so soloing big stuff gonna be more hard each time its updated. (and I want to enter that area lvl25 restricted :) )

I have alot of patience and still working on it to reinforce, and DMs are on the same mode, slowly but surely. they don't ask money to play (like other games.. *cough* WoW *cough*)

I feel sad to see so much people losing the taste of LOSing but its like RL, you make friends.. you lose friends.. you make new ones.. and so on.

p.s.:even if you don't los anymore Arnaud I will still talk to you, you are a good fellow, and I hope we will meet again :) and personnality your english is better than mine :P
Kampfer

Re: ...

Postby Valiant » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:43 pm

So another regular player leaves... many of those things are quite similar to my leaving long ago by now, although I had excuses to cover it up :P
Still daily on these forums though ;)

Scorpion wrote:Is it the lack of new quests?
I found many stuff, the good way or sometimes the 'bad' way. These days i can't find any clues or hints about new stuff, except for the storyline. And i don't feel like searching the hole land again and again after a new update.

To be honest, there's only so long a game can keep someone at it, unless he's a real addict. New areas, new quests, they would be fun for a day, maybe two, but after that... would it really be a long-lasting enthusiasm ?

I really miss the fun of playing these days/months. perhaps adding secondairy professions besides the normal classes would make it interesting. But i've been hearing these 'rumours' about new places.. new skills... new spells.. Some of those area's i know they are finished, but it just takes too long to keep us die-hard players focussed on playing los.

I don't think i will return to LoS with full 'enthousiastic' (happy feeeling.. or some other words.. donno the english word for it) when i started to play. We, long time players, just need new and more challenges. It's boring to play these days. Sorry JP, but this is just how i feel about LoS... (not really talking about real life).

Besides the above, i want to thank the builders for creating the game. I know you put a lot of time in it and i appreciated it, don't get me wrong. It's fun to play when you have many quests to complete. Perhaps i should follow your advice and leave you, like you told me several times. RPing just isn't the only thing that should keep us playing the game.

Regards,

-Naud

I may not have been bad at RP, in fact, I do want to believe I had (or have) the ability to be the character I played. That didn't save me however from the eventual boredom... when other games came in that caught my interest, LoS did not last long anymore.
I think I've been fully active for two years maybe - and they've been great years. Very few games can do that! I may be into Guild Wars now for half a year already, but whether it'll last for as long as LoS did for me will remain to be seen. Boredom is creeping in already I must admit, so that expansion had better be good. Chances are it will only partially survive the release of ET: Quake Wars :P Then again, even X³ lost it from GW :shock:

And in response to Kampfer: perhaps that's one thing I'm also missing... my real life isn't going too bad atm, and there's no real need to 'escape' to Dapetan. This was different in my college days... that sucked.
But I'd rather have it this way than have a life that sucks and play LoS to get out of it ;)

New players may keep LoS alive. Keep telling people how great it is, though it must be hard when you're not enjoying it so much anymore yourself.
Then maybe they'll get their share of the legend.
Valiant

Postby Kampfer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:22 pm

your last words valiant were accurate.. if people live this place that might be because their life doesn't suck that much.. happily for them :)

I will continue to live in los and I will do everything I can to fix my life.. I already have alot of plans :) but los is part of my heart, like I saw once somewhere (If only I could remember where) "you belong to one mud only, there is no place for others" and I believe that...los is my place

and I wish each player were thinking like that when they enter a mud. playing on two muds should be a treat to their sanity as player. pulling out the best of one mud is a way of being. pulling out things from two or more muds makes the balance entangle and the result is sucking in both (or more)

the last part was more like a warning to people about the danger of multimuding.
Kampfer

Postby Qoith_2 » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:39 am

Wow .. read these postings and knew I just had to add my two cents, regardless of the sad/bad feelings I would have to dredge up yet again

I consider myself a player on "leave" from LoS ... I do periodically (but perhaps not often enough) return to explore a bit more.

Kampfer wrote:and I wish each player were thinking like that when they enter a mud. playing on two muds should be a treat to their sanity as player. pulling out the best of one mud is a way of being. pulling out things from two or more muds makes the balance entangle and the result is sucking in both (or more)

Most will know I am one of those Kampfer is warning about the dangers of multi-mudding. To an extent, I have to agree with his warnings. I know that swapping and changing between muds threaten the quality of my RP when I do return to LoS. To RP well, you have to maintain and develop a persona until it becomes second nature.

However, as staff have told me many times, I have to "mud for my own enjoyment first" and for me that involves putting my RP on the backseat. What do I enjoy most about mudding ... why am I still mudding after 3 1/2 years ... well I like the exploring and I enjoy the social interaction with others.

Certainly there are many secrets I have not solved on LoS and that involves more, much more searching and talking to solve them. I am pretty tentancious and hence why I have not abandoned LoS - I WANT to solve every puzzle. However, over the past six months, LoS has got quieter and quieter (both in terms of players and staff) and there is only so much you can do in a vacuum without going quietly mad. Or perhaps you need to be a bit mad to begin with ( :twisted: at Kampfer).

Secondly, the social side. There are two ways to be "social" on LoS. Yes you can talk to people OOC while you are wandering around solo or you can find a RP-compatible character and group with them. For me, at least, running with a group is FAR more enjoyable. I have come to appreciate the enjoyment of RP in these situations. Time and much painful experience has shown me that antagonistic RP is not something I can do well. However with the dwindling numbers of players, the chance to RP a grouping is getting rarer and rarer. I have found the only way to actually achieve this, is to set up a "time" off-mud.

Kampfer wrote:I definetly use los as a refuge to RL ... I think this place is still a nice place torelax, getting distracted from this horrible planet which is DOOMED ..

Isn't that what game-play is? A distraction from RL ... nothing wrong with that! I have had some very very low times over the past months and mudding has certainly been a welcome respite from RL.

Scorpion wrote:.... i want to thank the builders for creating the game. I know you put a lot of time in it and i appreciated it ...

I have to agree with Scorpion wholeheartedly here. Not mentioning other muds by name (coz I don't want Kaedan to tut-tut me ), I have to say LoS is by far the best mud I have yet to encounter, in terms of consistency and attention to detail. The time the staff spend in getting areas "just right" has to be commended. It is just a pity RL has caught up with them and hence they have less time to complete and thoroughly test new areas they have been no doubt working on in the past. However I agree with Valiant here. Releasing new areas is unlikely to keep old players or attract new players in the long term. Though it would be a shame if time spent building new areas was wasted by not allowing interested players to visit them .... but just wait until I have solved my "existing" unsolved puzzles .. aarrgghh !!!!
Qoith_2

Re: ...

Postby stoner » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:50 am

Scorpion wrote:I don't think i will return to LoS with full 'enthousiastic' (happy feeeling.. or some other words.. donno the english word for it)

its "europhic" btw xP
stoner

Postby Kampfer » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:48 am

stoner... europhic is not even a word... go back to school :P
Kampfer

Return to OOC Chat