Original Idea

Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

Original Idea

Postby Kampfer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:09 pm

May I ask where and when Lands of Stone was from?

-Is that a world created by you and/or Hara in a D&D game when you were younger?
-Is that something that you just started to train your coding skills on and it ended up like that?
-The background world was that part of the original idea?
-Do you have any papers lying between two coding book dating from pre-2000 with loads of stuff that you thought and wanted to add but never had time?
-If so, is there a lot of stuff on those papers? :)
Kampfer

Postby Shihan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:42 pm

This takes me way back, we both wrote dungeons and dragons campaigns when younger and I ran several throughout the eighties, I was programming at the same time, hobby at first then as a job in 1983. The campaigns I wrote were nothing to do with LoS however. So before we started LoS we had 15-20 years of campaign design and coding behind us! I am that old :shock:

The LoS world was a completely original concept, the background world, the history, races were all blocked out before we created a single in game location. The primary and secondary plot lines were created and hidden and embedded into the game, bits slowly being revealed here and there. There are huge chunks of TODO still including the really high level stuff, hence the level 18 cap. It made no sense to have chars who were much too powerful for anything they could battle.

Yes, I do have a lot of notes, but the direction changed somewhat during all the development as it would, input from the other GMs was excellent and helped it down what I have always considered a good path. The current work will make it easier to generate new content so when done I hope to be able to start pushing the database forwards again.
Shihan
Site Admin

Postby Kampfer » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Thanks for sharing those informations :)

And sorry to make you feel old, but just in case, if you happen to die, can you put in your Last Will a way for us to continue to play and work on your game? ;)
Kampfer

Postby Shihan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:25 am

Not quite that old!!!

I could release the code/db but that would be when I've nothing more to add to it which is hopefully a long way off.
Shihan
Site Admin

Return to OOC Chat