Server move

Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

Server move

Postby Googe » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:46 pm

I wish you to have some ease to pass through that inconvenient!

And don't give up, even if I don't log often I don't forget you, watching the forum everyday for development :)
Googe

Postby jagg » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:00 pm

Yeh, had problems logging in today. Seems to be attempting to contact the right ip address but no joy. I hope the issues caused by the move get resolved without too much hassle.

Thanks Shihan though for taking the trouble to move it over.

Jagg
jagg

Postby Shihan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:10 am

Well...

I now know the scale of the problem and unfortunately its quite big, this code is many years old and not 64 bit safe.

I can and am converting the server to be 64 bit safe code, time consuming but not a problem. I have everything secured and once the server code is up and running then I have to convert the database accordingly. The hardest part will be converting the player files and player rooms. The player rooms is where the legacy code bites me in the arse as parts of it are structure dumps and 32 bit aligned, not 64 bit.

Regardless I'll provide updates and before properly restoring the DB I'll run a blank copy to make sure that everything hangs together (probably on port 4802) If that looks good then I'll switch in the actual DB and play can resume.

Again, my apologies for this unexpected and unwanted outage.
Shihan
Site Admin

Postby Shihan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:45 pm

Well after a *cough* slightly *cough* longer lunch break than usual I've actually made some very good progress. All the code I've added and all the code I reworked is 64 bit clean. The oldest legacy code right in the middle of the server was not. I've now gone through that code and made it safe. The server now compiles cleanly again and a valgrind test showed no memory leaks. I've brought it up, logged in and tested to the point where I can say things look good.

The base database has been moved over and I've correctly ported the player files. You could start playing now but...... The player rooms as I thought are going to be the most resistant part. I have two options, write a chunk of porting code and then test it very carefully or do the cheap hack way :roll:

I'm going to go the cheap way of course. I will delete all player rooms on the new database initially. I will then log onto an old 32 bit machine with a full copy of the final save state of the game and also log into the new server. I can then reinstate the rooms one by one and manually recreate the inventory in the new simply by listing whats in the old copy.

The process will take a while but you can at least play the game. To those with player rooms and a lot of their stuff held there, my apologies for the delay. Shout out so I can do the most active people first.

The mud is now open, but I'd appreciate playing and reporting any issues. I'm hoping there are non but I'll do my best to resolve asap.
Shihan
Site Admin

Postby Shod » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:34 am

Hey just wanted to say that there's no rush for getting my room ready. I'm going to be pretty busy for a week or two and there's nothing that I'd need from my room in order to play a bit anyways. Thanks for all your work!
Shod

Postby Jaster » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:03 pm

Just want to echo what Shod said and also mention that the broadcast and broademote aren't working correctly.

Trying a broademote caused this to happen.
###
### Quick shutdown now!
###

Now broadcast and broademote give:
Message broadcast.
*** Jaster broadcasted, "".
*** Jaster .

Not sure if it's an intermittent problem or an issue with code so I just thought I'd mention it.
Jaster

Postby jagg » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:22 am

Hey, Shihan, did you move my +7 Massive Mace of Mangling to the new room? I'm sure it was hidden under the bed. Don't tell me you missed it! ;-)
jagg

Postby Shihan » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks

Corrected that one and hopefully that is the last one, the server has been restarted and I'm now hopeful that code issues related to the move are all resolved.

As for stuff under beds....... DM-O-Vision is a wonderful thing.....
Shihan
Site Admin

Postby Jaster » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:04 pm

Just wanted to mention right now I'm able to get a connected message when I try to open Lands of Stone but the log in screen never pops up.
Jaster

Postby Shod » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:03 pm

I was just about the say the same thing as Jaster: can't connect. Couldn't last night either, so I thought I'd mention it on here just in case.
Shod

Postby Zaph » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:39 pm

I too & a few friends haven't been able to connect for quite a few days now. Found the ol' BB URL, so here I am to post my woes along with the rest.
Zaph

Postby Shod » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:15 am

Looks like we're back in business. Thanks.
Shod

Postby Shihan » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:25 pm

Unfortunately for the last couple of months leisure time has been at a premium and as such I didn't have time to address the player room conversion issue.

Time is still in short supply but this has been nagging at me and I was able to grab enough time to diagnose the error and produce a fix. Thankfully the problem was purely about reloading the data and not in its saving/backup so I knew nothing was missing.

Player rooms have been reloaded complete with all your shiny toys you spent so much effort collecting. Let me know if you think there are still issues and my apologies again for the delay.
Shihan
Site Admin

Postby Shod » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:10 am

Looks like everything is in order for me. Thanks a lot!
Shod

Return to OOC Chat