Can't connect - something wrong with server ?

Out of Character chats, discussions and rambles.

Can't connect - something wrong with server ?

Postby Valiant » Sat May 01, 2004 8:26 am

It started with serious lag thursday evening, not just for me. Yesterday and this morning I haven't been able to connect at all.

Is something wrong with the server at the moment ? don't tell me I'm the only one...
Valiant

Postby Kaedan » Sat May 01, 2004 10:00 am

Server is there, happy and attentive. It's likely a router problem somewhere between you and the server, have you run a traceroute to check?

If the server is down for a prolonged period we'd put up a post in announcements, just so you know you don't need to post such queries here.

Hope the problem is fixed soon,

--Kaedan
Kaedan

Postby Scorpion » Sat May 01, 2004 10:58 am

same problem here..
well still now (friday 1 pm)
:(
Scorpion

Postby Valiant » Sat May 01, 2004 12:36 pm

Kaedan wrote: have you run a traceroute to check?

How would I do that ? Do I need special software to do it ?
Valiant

Postby Scorpion » Sat May 01, 2004 1:24 pm

Scorpion

Postby Valiant » Sat May 01, 2004 5:33 pm

Ah, that's interesting. Looks like someone in the UK failing.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~dplas/pics/losping.jpg

Two side notes:
1) Why does the signal to the UK go through Germany ? How efficient...
2) Seems that despite having the same ADSL speed, I get lower pings through the hops. Provider difference...

Oh well, I hope it gets sorted soon. At least before next week. :(
Valiant

Postby Scorpion » Sun May 02, 2004 5:27 pm

Do you guys have any idea?
Scorpion

Postby Ghandi » Mon May 03, 2004 8:07 am

I got a quite similar picture just as Valiant has. BUT, i can play :P . Maybe it's because i use cable and you two ADSL, but im not sure but it could be the problem.
Ghandi

Postby Scorpion » Tue May 04, 2004 12:53 pm

i can play again, but with pingplotter adress still not available
Scorpion

Postby Kaedan » Tue May 04, 2004 4:01 pm

It might have helped if I'd remembered before suggesting you try to trace the route that you'll never get the final hop to detect, the server that LOS sits on doesn't reply to pinging.

Now you know what your normal trace looks like though, so in the future you should be able to see how near the server your signal is getting.

I'm pretty sure it was a routing problem you were having though, as LOS was up and letting most players connect.

--Kaedan
Kaedan

Postby Shihan » Tue May 04, 2004 7:18 pm

The connectivity problem seems to be getting worse. I am logging a complaint with the hosting service in the hope they sort themselves out. Its a paid for service so the least they can do is report whats up.

Regards
Shihan
Shihan
Site Admin

Postby Scorpion » Tue May 04, 2004 9:15 pm

Shihan wrote:I may or may not be reading this forum. I may or may not be looking over your shoulder right now!
This is the role of administrators everywhere...

:D
Scorpion

argggggggg!

Postby brent » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:13 am

LoS is still down. this is making me angry
brent

Re: argggggggg!

Postby Valiant » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:00 am

brent wrote:LoS is still down. this is making me angry

/me points at the date of the original post and replies...
Valiant

Postby Shihan » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:52 am

As far as we can tell the connection dropped sometime after 3am this morning, 2nd August 2004.

We have not been able to connect to any part of the service provider, not the server this game is hosted on, nor their websites, status pages or anything.

This is a paid for service (by myself) so I suppose I could allow myself to get 'angry' especially as their phones are not being answered.

As soon as we can find any information we'll post but at the moment thats not looking likely.

More updates later.
Shihan

First update:
The industrial park at which the hosting service is located suffered a complete power/comms failure. They have restored their phones, hence this update. Power has been fixed and comms is being worked on. The provider needs confirmation that power is stable before starting any of the servers and until comms is resolved we won't be seeing them anyway. The expectations at this point are vague but anywhere from 3pm UK time onwards is our first guess.

Second update:
The service is now available again. We'll watch to make sure we are content with the situation.

Update Three:
Apparently power is stable but the connection is still being worked on but we've all noticed that! I have not assurances or idea when its all going to be stable but though we won't be able to connect for however long it all takes, the server is running in the background. It is now 21:15 UK time so we will see how long this lasts.
Shihan
Site Admin

Return to OOC Chat